Daily Log for #alfresco IRC Channel

Alfresco discussion and collaboration. Stick around a few hours after asking a question.

Official support for Enterprise subscribers: support.alfresco.com.

Joining the Channel:

Join in the conversation by getting an IRC client and connecting to #alfresco at Freenode. Our you can use the IRC web chat.

More information about the channel is in the wiki.

Getting Help

More help is available in this list of resources.

Daily Log for #alfresco

2017-02-17 00:49:46 GMT <AFaust> resplin: I can't remember ever seeing him here. Even on gitter.im of OOTBee Support Tools he appears to be barely active...

2017-02-17 00:53:24 GMT <resplin> AFaust: That makes sense. I just wanted to let him and you know that the version document you put together last hack-a-thon was really useful today.

2017-02-17 00:53:37 GMT <resplin> But I decided to leave the note in the Jive Community.

2017-02-17 00:54:29 GMT <AFaust> mittal only contributed something small-ish to that document after we already had migrated to Jive. He wasn't attending the hack-a-thon

2017-02-17 00:55:09 GMT * AFaust is not saying that the badge for him isn't deserved

2017-02-17 00:56:59 GMT <AFaust> Ohh - indeed it is not deserved for him

2017-02-17 00:57:17 GMT <AFaust> Because it was Mikel Asla, not Mittal that you likely have meant to give a badge to.

2017-02-17 00:57:46 GMT <AFaust> He was a member of the hack-a-thon project. Mittal didn't contribute anything to the document even afterwards (just checked the versions)

2017-02-17 00:57:58 GMT <AFaust> See https://community.alfresco.com/docs/DOC-6291-projects-and-teams-beecon-hack-a-thon-2016 for the team

2017-02-17 00:57:59 GMT <alfbot> Title: Projects and Teams BeeCon Hackathon 2016 | Alfresco Community (at community.alfresco.com)

2017-02-17 01:06:31 GMT <resplin> Mittal edited version 3 to add the Table of Contents.

2017-02-17 01:06:43 GMT <resplin> But yeah, I probably should have checked the team list.

2017-02-17 01:06:53 GMT <resplin> No probably about it.

2017-02-17 01:21:37 GMT * AFaust seriously needs to stop and go to bed ("Would you look at the time...")

2017-02-17 02:26:16 GMT <HungNguyen> hi all

2017-02-17 02:26:21 GMT <HungNguyen> anyone?

2017-02-17 02:27:11 GMT <HungNguyen> help me

2017-02-17 05:15:56 GMT <digcat> hi all, just wondering if i missed something, nightlys, have they moved ?? im going here but nothing is showing

2017-02-17 05:15:57 GMT <digcat> http://alf-community-nightly.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/

2017-02-17 05:15:58 GMT <alfbot> Title: Alfresco Community Edition - Nightly builds (at alf-community-nightly.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com)

2017-02-17 07:44:08 GMT <yreg> Morning

2017-02-17 08:17:57 GMT <bhagyas> Implemented some interesting graph heuristics libraries on top of Alfresco - let me know if anyone is interested

2017-02-17 08:18:04 GMT <bhagyas> :)

2017-02-17 08:24:22 GMT <yreg> bhagyas, can you elaborate ?

2017-02-17 08:37:12 GMT <bhagyas> implemented hipster for alfresco traversal :)

2017-02-17 08:40:56 GMT <AFaust> That has been a .... elaborate explanation

2017-02-17 08:43:08 GMT <AFaust> Oh - the tweet from Paul Homes-Higgin and the RT from Angel are gone... I was wondering how long that was going to be up

2017-02-17 08:48:17 GMT *** angelborroy_ is now known as angelborroy

2017-02-17 08:57:28 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: What was the tweet

2017-02-17 08:57:29 GMT <bhagyas> :D

2017-02-17 09:06:44 GMT <angelborroy> bhaygas the one saying that Flowable and Alfresco will not be comfortable under the same event

2017-02-17 09:06:48 GMT <AFaust> bhagyas: Let's just say it gave an indication of issues that may exist between Flowable and Alfresco

2017-02-17 09:07:26 GMT <bhagyas> ah :)

2017-02-17 09:19:33 GMT <MorganP> Hello everybody

2017-02-17 09:19:48 GMT <MorganP> Do you know if it is possible to use OneNote with Alfresco 5.2.x?

2017-02-17 09:20:46 GMT <MorganP> I don't think that the Alfresco AOS support OneNote Documents to be opened directly in Office

2017-02-17 09:21:09 GMT <MorganP> And even less support the multi-editing of a single OneNote doc at the same time

2017-02-17 09:21:14 GMT <MorganP> but still wanted to confirm

2017-02-17 09:24:57 GMT <yreg> MorganP, I was not aware that it supported Multi-editing of a single file (ie: word/excel ...) at least not outside a cloud based offering

2017-02-17 09:25:40 GMT <MorganP> SharePoint supports it even outside of a cloud offering I think

2017-02-17 09:25:47 GMT <MorganP> with 365

2017-02-17 09:27:11 GMT <angelborroy> SharePoint is using the browser for that

2017-02-17 09:27:21 GMT <angelborroy> and it’s not a “nice” experience

2017-02-17 09:27:40 GMT <angelborroy> IMO for multi-user editing there is nothing best than Google Drive

2017-02-17 09:27:42 GMT <MorganP> For Word/Excel yes

2017-02-17 09:28:42 GMT <MorganP> But for OneNote, is it not possible to open the same file at the same time on different computers and still see the inputs of other users?

2017-02-17 09:28:54 GMT <MorganP> without browser I mean

2017-02-17 09:31:22 GMT <yreg> MorganP, AFAIK as soon as you open a file for an online editing that file is checked out implicitly

2017-02-17 09:31:41 GMT <mrks_js> paul tweeted: "Kind offer. Nothing against OOTB, but personally there's some from #Alfresco I'd be happy to never see again"

2017-02-17 09:31:42 GMT <yreg> So I would expect it to be locked for other users

2017-02-17 09:31:44 GMT <MorganP> Yes absolutely

2017-02-17 09:31:59 GMT <MorganP> That's also what I thought so I don't think it would work

2017-02-17 09:32:20 GMT <MorganP> And anyway my Alfresco apparently don't recognize the ".one" as Microsoft documents

2017-02-17 09:32:31 GMT <MorganP> So it doesn't propose me the "Open in Microsoft Office" action

2017-02-17 09:33:04 GMT <AFaust> mrks_js: I did not want to repeat that here, because it is then recorded in our logs...

2017-02-17 09:33:07 GMT <yreg> that's probably easily hackable by extending the original eveluator for the action

2017-02-17 09:33:59 GMT <MorganP> Yes probably customizable but I'm wondering if it would actually work

2017-02-17 09:35:42 GMT <mrks_js> i do not see an issue with that tweet

2017-02-17 09:36:08 GMT <yreg> MorganP, if you can rapidly setup a test instance, override the edit document-online-edit-aos action without providing an eveluator (or one that would accept .one)

2017-02-17 09:36:14 GMT <yreg> then test it out

2017-02-17 09:36:25 GMT <yreg> the whole process shouldn't take more than 30 minutes

2017-02-17 09:39:00 GMT <MorganP> Yep I guess I will have to try it out one day

2017-02-17 09:39:01 GMT <MorganP> Thanks

2017-02-17 09:39:23 GMT *** angelborroy_ is now known as angelborroy

2017-02-17 10:30:15 GMT <AFaust> mrks_js: I don't se an issue with that tweet as well in general. But there was a reason he deleted it and I tend to avoid storing copies of deleted tweets (seeing how I sometimes tweet to fast and then am frustrated by the lack of an "edit" feature to correct something)

2017-02-17 11:36:26 GMT <douglascrp> morning everyone

2017-02-17 12:03:48 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, I'm working on your pull request now

2017-02-17 12:03:58 GMT <douglascrp> better late than never :D

2017-02-17 12:04:42 GMT <yreg> hehe

2017-02-17 12:04:44 GMT <yreg> right

2017-02-17 12:05:04 GMT <yreg> by the way, is there an ETA on next release M

2017-02-17 12:05:07 GMT <yreg> M<

2017-02-17 12:05:11 GMT <yreg> ?

2017-02-17 12:05:21 GMT <douglascrp> well, I have to speak with Paolo about that

2017-02-17 12:05:29 GMT <douglascrp> he is responsible for generating new releases

2017-02-17 12:05:44 GMT <douglascrp> I am only in charge of helping him to keep it going

2017-02-17 12:34:49 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, it's excelent

2017-02-17 12:34:52 GMT <douglascrp> good job dude

2017-02-17 12:35:02 GMT <douglascrp> have you tried it with custom content types:

2017-02-17 12:35:37 GMT <douglascrp> the only thing I think that could be improved is the form size

2017-02-17 12:36:03 GMT <douglascrp> even with the cm:content, containing only 3 properties, the form is bigger than the browser visible area

2017-02-17 12:36:19 GMT <douglascrp> I saw you changed it to improve the rendering for big forms

2017-02-17 12:36:30 GMT <douglascrp> but it seems you kind of fixed its size

2017-02-17 12:36:37 GMT <douglascrp> was that the intention

2017-02-17 12:36:40 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, ^

2017-02-17 12:39:33 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, yes, it is awesome

2017-02-17 12:39:40 GMT <douglascrp> i liked the way you implemented it

2017-02-17 13:23:36 GMT <yreg> douglascrp, glad that you liked it

2017-02-17 13:24:44 GMT <yreg> regarding the form size, I had custom types with 12+ properties and the scrolling was really annoying as it added witespace to the end of share page ...

2017-02-17 13:25:25 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, that is being added here with only 3 properties anyway

2017-02-17 13:25:36 GMT <douglascrp> and I get a lot of whitespace to the end too

2017-02-17 13:25:40 GMT <yreg> I limited ity to 550px, which looked small on my 4k screen, but looked fine on my second monitor (full hd) and on other screens (hd)

2017-02-17 13:25:40 GMT <douglascrp> and buttons are hidden

2017-02-17 13:25:51 GMT <douglascrp> I see

2017-02-17 13:25:59 GMT <douglascrp> well, it is not fine on a laptop

2017-02-17 13:26:14 GMT <douglascrp> ok, I am merging this as it is now, and we can discuss that in another issue

2017-02-17 13:26:59 GMT <yreg> humm, I can have it adapt to window size automatically, what do you think about that ?

2017-02-17 13:27:11 GMT <douglascrp> that would be good

2017-02-17 13:27:48 GMT <yreg> Ok will do some measures to figure out the best display size and come up with a min-height

2017-02-17 13:28:07 GMT <yreg> for the record, did you find 550px too much or too little ?

2017-02-17 13:28:15 GMT <douglascrp> too much

2017-02-17 13:28:25 GMT <douglascrp> when I commented that, the screen looked ok for me

2017-02-17 13:28:36 GMT <douglascrp> it as adapted for the 3 fields in the cm:content

2017-02-17 13:28:44 GMT <douglascrp> name, title and subject

2017-02-17 13:29:04 GMT <yreg> aha, so it was bigger than the form ?

2017-02-17 13:29:08 GMT <douglascrp> description

2017-02-17 13:29:29 GMT <douglascrp> yes, way bigger

2017-02-17 13:29:45 GMT <yreg> I never tried it with a type with less than 7 props

2017-02-17 13:29:45 GMT <douglascrp> with a big whitespace before the buttons at the bottom

2017-02-17 13:29:46 GMT <yreg> hehe

2017-02-17 13:30:02 GMT <yreg> but I think replacing with by max with would solve this for you

2017-02-17 13:30:13 GMT <yreg> and still we can get better rendering of larger forms

2017-02-17 13:30:44 GMT <douglascrp> we will have to find a balance there

2017-02-17 13:30:45 GMT <yreg> s/max with/max width/

2017-02-17 13:30:52 GMT <douglascrp> ok, but as I said, lets discuss this another time

2017-02-17 13:43:51 GMT * AFaust really has to start thinking about a session proposal...

2017-02-17 13:48:12 GMT <yreg> it's about time indeed

2017-02-17 13:48:53 GMT <yreg> douglascrp, a new PR is there :D

2017-02-17 13:49:19 GMT <yreg> feel free to give it a run whenever you see fit

2017-02-17 14:00:37 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, wow, that was fast

2017-02-17 14:25:36 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, ok, I have finish some parts, but now I have to go back to another problem here

2017-02-17 14:25:41 GMT <douglascrp> thank you again for your contribution

2017-02-17 14:25:49 GMT <douglascrp> I will take a look at the resizing subject later

2017-02-17 14:30:59 GMT *** mmccarthy1 is now known as mmccarthy

2017-02-17 14:45:50 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, I have also merged the windows size PR

2017-02-17 14:45:55 GMT <douglascrp> it works ok now

2017-02-17 14:45:57 GMT <douglascrp> tks

2017-02-17 15:09:20 GMT <yreg> Any time

2017-02-17 15:09:32 GMT <fwu> hello all!

2017-02-17 15:56:23 GMT <fwu> ppl, can someone help me on this: when a user makes a checkout and then a checkin is it possible to set properties of the document?

2017-02-17 15:57:16 GMT <Tichodroma> at the same time? by the user? by a policy?

2017-02-17 15:57:22 GMT <fwu> I ask this because it seems that the offline and the inline editing of a document in Alfresco only set a new version of the document itself. What about its properties?

2017-02-17 15:57:39 GMT <fwu> I think at the same time would be nice

2017-02-17 15:57:53 GMT <Tichodroma> what properties do you have in mind?

2017-02-17 15:58:20 GMT <fwu> for instance, imagine that in the context of a workflow you have a contract that you will send to the client

2017-02-17 15:58:55 GMT <Tichodroma> and?

2017-02-17 15:59:08 GMT <fwu> the contract that will actually be sent will be signed by someone. I would like to update/version the contract with the signed version

2017-02-17 15:59:24 GMT <fwu> but in that time, I would need to set the state of the document as "signed"

2017-02-17 15:59:52 GMT <fwu> in this way, in the workflow context, I would understand that the signed versioned of the document was attached to the workflow

2017-02-17 16:00:06 GMT <Tichodroma> by workflow do you mean Activiti?

2017-02-17 16:00:10 GMT <fwu> so it can proceeed to the next phase

2017-02-17 16:00:13 GMT <fwu> yes

2017-02-17 16:00:27 GMT <Tichodroma> sorry, I don't use Activiti

2017-02-17 16:02:12 GMT <fwu> but actually the activiti here is not the problem. Even if we forget activiti the problem is the same... how could I set a properti of the document

2017-02-17 16:02:48 GMT <AFaust> fwu: Yes, if you use the CheckIn/CheckOut feature in Alfresco you can handle content and metadata at the same time.

2017-02-17 16:02:57 GMT <Tichodroma> there are both Java and JavScript APIs to set properties on a node

2017-02-17 16:03:21 GMT <Tichodroma> AFaust: how would you do this?

2017-02-17 16:03:28 GMT <fwu> Afaust, but the window I get doesnt have any properties

2017-02-17 16:03:30 GMT <AFaust> It is only the Share UI interaction that makes this seem not handled...

2017-02-17 16:04:04 GMT <AFaust> Tichodroma: You create a working copy via checkOut, change its content and properties, and then perform the checkIn

2017-02-17 16:04:14 GMT <Tichodroma> in some code, sure

2017-02-17 16:04:20 GMT <AFaust> The problem is that the Share UI does not provide a "upload content without checkIn" action

2017-02-17 16:04:36 GMT <AFaust> But it would be really easy to add

2017-02-17 16:04:44 GMT <Tichodroma> for you and me :)

2017-02-17 16:04:46 GMT <AFaust> (for someone who is not afraid to code some YUI)=

2017-02-17 16:05:06 GMT <Tichodroma> that's not a question of being afraid :p

2017-02-17 16:05:13 GMT <AFaust> Yes, always speaking "relatively"

2017-02-17 16:05:27 GMT <fwu> AFaust, but if I chnage that window, I will change it to all documents, right?

2017-02-17 16:06:22 GMT <AFaust> fwu: The approach would be to not change THAT window, but add an additional action that is separate from the default

2017-02-17 16:07:24 GMT <AFaust> fwu: But as Tichodroma has mentioned, it is not a simple/straight-forward thing to do if you don't have experience with extending the Share UI with custom code

2017-02-17 16:08:03 GMT <fwu> isnt there something similar laready done by someone? maybe as an add-on?

2017-02-17 16:09:39 GMT <AFaust> You are welcome to look - I am not aware of one that is freely available, up-to-date with Alfresco releases and covering that particular small use case

2017-02-17 16:10:14 GMT <AFaust> But I am actually considering starting a new addon project for "small, simple yet forgotten doclib actions"

2017-02-17 16:20:13 GMT <fwu> hmm.. the most similar addon I found is to set properties while uploading documents

2017-02-17 16:20:19 GMT <fwu> upload plus

2017-02-17 20:29:53 GMT <digcat> ~later tell resplin I hope this finds you well, sorry to bother you, but was wondering if the nightly builds page was a temporary problem or more permanent, http://alf-community-nightly.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/

2017-02-17 20:29:53 GMT <alfbot> digcat: The operation succeeded.

2017-02-17 20:33:44 GMT <resplin> digcat: Odd

2017-02-17 20:33:44 GMT <alfbot> resplin: Sent 3 minutes ago: <digcat> I hope this finds you well, sorry to bother you, but was wondering if the nightly builds page was a temporary problem or more permanent, http://alf-community-nightly.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/

2017-02-17 20:33:52 GMT <resplin> I'll elbow the team about it.

2017-02-17 20:33:56 GMT <digcat> thanks :)

2017-02-17 20:34:16 GMT <resplin> Actually, it would help you raise an ALF issue. Then they won't think it's just me bothering them about it. <grin>

2017-02-17 20:34:35 GMT <digcat> righto

2017-02-17 20:34:36 GMT <resplin> I want them to see that people outside the company really do look at those.

2017-02-17 20:34:47 GMT <resplin> Thanks.

2017-02-17 20:35:44 GMT <resplin> There have been very few changes merged to head as we prepare for the release of 5.2.0--only critical bug fixes. So this is an okay time for them to die. But we do need to get them fixed.

2017-02-17 20:39:29 GMT <digcat> ok have raised it, https://issues.alfresco.com/jira/browse/ALF-21860

2017-02-17 20:39:43 GMT <digcat> looks like jira PO owners are a little out of date

End of Daily Log

The other logs are at http://esplins.org/hash_alfresco