Daily Log for #alfresco IRC Channel

Alfresco discussion and collaboration. Stick around a few hours after asking a question.

Official support for Enterprise subscribers: support.alfresco.com.

Joining the Channel:

Join in the conversation by getting an IRC client and connecting to #alfresco at Freenode. Our you can use the IRC web chat.

More information about the channel is in the wiki.

Getting Help

More help is available in this list of resources.

Daily Log for #alfresco

2017-03-16 00:16:33 GMT <fwu> brb

2017-03-16 00:54:57 GMT <digcat> hey douglascrp back in business https://jenkins.orderofthebee.org/

2017-03-16 00:54:58 GMT <alfbot> Title: Dashboard [Jenkins] (at jenkins.orderofthebee.org)

2017-03-16 00:55:06 GMT <douglascrp> digcat, hey

2017-03-16 00:55:13 GMT <douglascrp> cool

2017-03-16 00:55:21 GMT <douglascrp> let me see if I can connect into it

2017-03-16 00:55:25 GMT <douglascrp> digcat, thank you

2017-03-16 08:23:32 GMT <alfbot> angelborroy: Sent 16 hours and 45 minutes ago: <yregaieg> in case you are not aware of it, Alvex has pretty interesting helpers for workflow development with embedded activiti in alfresco.... very very useful, a real time saver !

2017-03-16 08:23:33 GMT <alfbot> angelborroy: Sent 15 hours and 33 minutes ago: <AFaust> If the email notification is triggered by an end user, yes, that users browser locale will be used as it is currently set in the thread context

2017-03-16 08:23:34 GMT <alfbot> angelborroy: Sent 15 hours and 4 minutes ago: <resplin> Regarding ALF-21827, I don't think it is fair to say that issues are always ignored. They generate a lot of discussion and consideration.

2017-03-16 08:23:35 GMT <alfbot> angelborroy: Sent 15 hours and 4 minutes ago: <resplin> But that specific request has not been made by other people. That is the value you provide as a consultant.

2017-03-16 08:27:08 GMT <angelborroy> ~later tell resplin probably you are right, but I’m feeling a kind of frustration everytime a change in Alfresco provokes bad customer reations and extra takss for me in order to patch what was working before

2017-03-16 08:27:08 GMT <alfbot> angelborroy: The operation succeeded.

2017-03-16 11:04:09 GMT <fwu> hi all!

2017-03-16 11:08:33 GMT <fwu> ppl, I need some ideas about this please:

2017-03-16 11:09:38 GMT <fwu> I use the group picker so that the user can select a group to where the task will be sent. In the wf code I get the group code and set it in a property of a document.

2017-03-16 11:10:34 GMT <fwu> then, in the search, I have a custom list with code-description for groups. This list is a custom list and is a kind of a copy of all security groups definied in Alfresco.

2017-03-16 11:10:43 GMT <fwu> The user selects one , and the documents are found.

2017-03-16 11:11:13 GMT <fwu> What I want is to eliminate this custom link and set in the search screen the standard group picker

2017-03-16 11:11:59 GMT <fwu> so that the user will search for the group he wantds and then select it. The search should then return the related documents.

2017-03-16 11:12:42 GMT <fwu> The problem here is that the picker will return an object. In the wf screen Im able to get that element and then the code. But how can I do that in a advanced search screen?

2017-03-16 11:13:11 GMT <fwu> any ideas on this please?

2017-03-16 11:15:29 GMT <fwu> maybe I could set a property of the document type as a bpm:assignee is this possible? In this way I wouldnt need to get the code and then set it to my custom text property...

2017-03-16 11:28:07 GMT <AFaust> I assume with "code" you mean the actual name of the group?

2017-03-16 11:29:56 GMT <AFaust> But it sounds like you would need a custom picker that consistently gives you the name of the authority instead of its NodeRef...

2017-03-16 11:30:47 GMT <fwu> AFaust, that is right

2017-03-16 11:31:15 GMT <fwu> when creating a group there is two standard fields... similar to code and description (display name)

2017-03-16 11:31:28 GMT <fwu> right now we are maitaining a custom list of groups

2017-03-16 11:33:12 GMT <fwu> I see you point. I was looking to avoid creating a new one :)

2017-03-16 11:33:31 GMT <fwu> but I dont see any other solution either

2017-03-16 11:36:43 GMT <fwu> but maybe another solution would be to use a standard list object but populated with custom code that will get all groups from Alfresco...

2017-03-16 11:38:18 GMT <fwu> The appearance of this object is different of course, but still the data would be generated dynamically, instead of comming from a custom harded coded list

2017-03-16 11:53:40 GMT <fwu> hmm... I think I just need to look at the authority.ftl

2017-03-16 11:53:56 GMT <fwu> and create my own. lets see.

2017-03-16 12:22:34 GMT <fwu> AFaust, I realize that I can add a new output field for the authority.ftl, so that the search button will be able to search by the right field name.

2017-03-16 12:22:39 GMT <fwu> the problem now is to set the value

2017-03-16 12:23:14 GMT <fwu> is it possible to put some code inside a ftl file to get the code group from the node?

2017-03-16 12:23:20 GMT <AFaust> No

2017-03-16 12:23:27 GMT <fwu> so I must go deeper

2017-03-16 12:23:45 GMT <AFaust> You need to work with a custom client-side JS for the picker to handle data mapping from selection to the field

2017-03-16 12:24:02 GMT <AFaust> object-finder.js is the out-of-the-box file for these kinds of pickers in a form

2017-03-16 12:24:04 GMT <fwu> ok, I need to look at the js file

2017-03-16 12:24:15 GMT <fwu> ok, thank you

2017-03-16 12:24:19 GMT <fwu> I will look at it

2017-03-16 12:25:07 GMT <AFaust> Essentially you might have to make a custom copy of the FTL as well as the JS file since they are tightly coupled.

2017-03-16 12:25:39 GMT <AFaust> The FTL file generates some inline JS code to instantiate a runtime object from the structure the JS file defines

2017-03-16 12:29:43 GMT <fwu> AFaust, look at this that I found inside the js:

2017-03-16 12:29:45 GMT <fwu> valueType: "nodeRef",

2017-03-16 12:30:03 GMT <fwu> * Value type. * Whether values are passed into and out of the control as nodeRefs or other data types * * @property valueType * @type string * @default "nodeRef"

2017-03-16 12:30:14 GMT <fwu> so I can get sometjing different than a node

2017-03-16 12:30:38 GMT <fwu> still, it doesnt means I can get a code

2017-03-16 12:30:50 GMT <fwu> and not the display title of the group

2017-03-16 12:31:18 GMT <AFaust> Please stop using "code" - use "authority name" instead, so other people who are reading the logs afterwards understand what you mean....

2017-03-16 12:33:03 GMT <fwu> ok

2017-03-16 12:33:32 GMT <AFaust> The "valueType" is only used for resolving already selected items - it does not have anything to do with mapping values that a user selects

2017-03-16 12:34:26 GMT <AFaust> E.g. there can be functionality that provides a pre-selected item using a XPath expression and the valueType "xpath" will then tell the picker to treat the pre-selected value as an xpath to resolve against a node

2017-03-16 12:34:54 GMT <AFaust> In the end, the selected value will still be a nodeRef...

2017-03-16 13:03:05 GMT <fwu> ok AFaust. I got it. Thank you

2017-03-16 13:03:20 GMT <fwu> Is there an example of getting the propertiesd of a noderef in js?

2017-03-16 13:07:38 GMT <douglascrp> good morning

2017-03-16 13:08:05 GMT <AFaust> fwu: Not really because it depends on the specific case and what data you may have already loaded...

2017-03-16 13:31:08 GMT <douglascrp> does anyone have a folder rule that moves documents after properties changes?

2017-03-16 13:31:30 GMT <douglascrp> I am using this, and when the user saves the changes, the form is kept opened

2017-03-16 13:31:36 GMT <douglascrp> this is only happening on 5.2

2017-03-16 13:32:02 GMT <douglascrp> I mean, if I save a document in a folder without a move folder rule, the form is closed and the user is back to the document library

2017-03-16 13:32:24 GMT <douglascrp> but if the document is moved because of the change, the form is there

2017-03-16 13:32:26 GMT <douglascrp> weird

2017-03-16 13:33:35 GMT <douglascrp> what is worst... I tried again, observing the browser web tools and then it worked

2017-03-16 13:34:52 GMT <resplin> angelborroy: I definitely understand the frustration. Some of the areas where it comes up are unintentional, but I am trying to reduce those unpleasant migrations when we can predict them.

2017-03-16 13:34:52 GMT <alfbot> resplin: Sent 5 hours and 7 minutes ago: <angelborroy> probably you are right, but I’m feeling a kind of frustration everytime a change in Alfresco provokes bad customer reations and extra takss for me in order to patch what was working before

2017-03-16 13:51:02 GMT <fwu> AFaust, I realize that the group identifier is not been sent from the repo tier to share

2017-03-16 13:51:13 GMT <fwu> only the authority name

2017-03-16 13:51:31 GMT <fwu> so, or I also change the repo tier

2017-03-16 13:51:45 GMT <fwu> or I try to get the properties of this node using its noderef

2017-03-16 13:52:01 GMT <fwu> I rather get it in the share tier as I already have its noderef

2017-03-16 13:52:39 GMT <fwu> but again, how can I get the group identifier property value using js? Would be something like noderef.propertieds?

2017-03-16 13:53:03 GMT <douglascrp> fwu, you have to use the noderef to get a actual node

2017-03-16 13:53:18 GMT <douglascrp> and then, in the node, you can use the node.properties[]

2017-03-16 13:53:37 GMT <douglascrp> the noderef is only the "key" to access the node

2017-03-16 13:58:52 GMT <fwu> douglascrp, I will try that. Thnak you!

2017-03-16 14:13:34 GMT <ohej> bhagyas, Loftux, yreg, douglascrp ping

2017-03-16 14:13:49 GMT <ohej> angelborroy as well ;)

2017-03-16 14:14:14 GMT <douglascrp> ohej, pong

2017-03-16 14:14:20 GMT <ohej> SDK 3.0

2017-03-16 14:14:27 GMT <ohej> jRebel vs Hotswap agent

2017-03-16 14:14:29 GMT <angelborroy> pong

2017-03-16 14:14:38 GMT <ohej> Going to explain something, need some input on a decision

2017-03-16 14:14:43 GMT <douglascrp> ohej, what do you mean?

2017-03-16 14:15:02 GMT <ohej> I have an issue, I need some input.. I'm too close to the "problem" need some external feedback

2017-03-16 14:15:10 GMT <angelborroy> go ahead

2017-03-16 14:15:21 GMT <angelborroy> (Hotswap rules!!!)

2017-03-16 14:15:32 GMT <douglascrp> I am on JRebel here

2017-03-16 14:15:42 GMT <ohej> So as you know, SDK3 is just about ready, currently I'm doing the last rounds of testing and getting good support for Hotswap Agent / DCEVM

2017-03-16 14:15:55 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: calm down, take a deep breath xD

2017-03-16 14:16:10 GMT <ohej> jrebel is quite nice, it really gives an awesome experience, but it has a pricetag

2017-03-16 14:16:22 GMT <yreg> ohej, for once, +1 to what bhagyas just said <grin>

2017-03-16 14:16:39 GMT <ohej> We've done a lot of research on hotswap agent, and even though the installation process isn't exactly great, but the functionality and stability is good

2017-03-16 14:16:40 GMT <douglascrp> ohej, yes, I only have it here because we bought the license 1 week before the hotswap announcement :D

2017-03-16 14:16:46 GMT <yreg> ohej, the price tag is indeed a problem, especially for larger team

2017-03-16 14:16:56 GMT <ohej> So I want the SDK to have support for both

2017-03-16 14:17:04 GMT <angelborroy> me too

2017-03-16 14:17:18 GMT <bhagyas> I got a free license from zeroturnaround

2017-03-16 14:17:24 GMT <yreg> ohej, which makes it really cool, but why would we have to chose ?

2017-03-16 14:17:25 GMT <douglascrp> once my license expires, I am going to migrate to hotswap

2017-03-16 14:17:39 GMT <ohej> I think we can all agree that is the best option to move forward with. Now, Hotswap has some limitations, no reloading of XML defined beans, and no current plans to change it

2017-03-16 14:18:02 GMT <angelborroy> jrebel is better, no doubt about that

2017-03-16 14:18:03 GMT <ohej> I think we're all fine with that limitation, or we could do a hackathon to see if we can bring support into hotswap

2017-03-16 14:18:15 GMT <ohej> So far so good, now to the tricky bit where I need input

2017-03-16 14:18:17 GMT <Loftux> ohej: Is the setup/config just once per dev machine or is it a lot to do per project? If just once, then I don't mind some config work for hotswap

2017-03-16 14:18:39 GMT <angelborroy> once per dev machine

2017-03-16 14:18:59 GMT <ohej> Loftux: the installation issues is just around your environment. It hooks into your JRE, after that it's just a parameter (-agent:/path/to/hotswapagent.jar)

2017-03-16 14:19:02 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: Maybe can we also get spring loaded for a re-evaluation?

2017-03-16 14:19:07 GMT <bhagyas> It worked quite well in its time

2017-03-16 14:19:10 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: Done that, nothing's changed

2017-03-16 14:19:39 GMT <ohej> it still suffers from the same issues

2017-03-16 14:19:43 GMT <ohej> Anyways, everyone with me so far?

2017-03-16 14:20:09 GMT <angelborroy> so, the thing is having both JRebel and Hotswap

2017-03-16 14:20:21 GMT <ohej> Yes, I just wanted to make sure we're all on alignment on that one

2017-03-16 14:20:22 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: I'm in for jrebel only because it was free as in beer, not on a philosophically agreement, but yeah

2017-03-16 14:20:22 GMT <angelborroy> but having limited features using Hotswap

2017-03-16 14:20:24 GMT <angelborroy> right?

2017-03-16 14:20:33 GMT <ohej> Yep, but that's not the tricky part

2017-03-16 14:20:39 GMT <ohej> So here's the deal:

2017-03-16 14:20:51 GMT <angelborroy> (for me having an open source tool is required for a product like Alfresco)

2017-03-16 14:21:05 GMT <yreg> ohej, to be honest, I find XML reload a bit tricky (and dangerous) and may result in double registration of action/policies ...

2017-03-16 14:21:23 GMT <ohej> The way JRebel works is that you can provide a rebel.xml file per maven module. JRebel then merges all of it into one per webapp and it's generally pretty awesome

2017-03-16 14:21:39 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, I faced that once when working with jrebel and policies

2017-03-16 14:21:39 GMT <ohej> So this means you can easily autogenerate (there's a maven plugin to do it) the rebel.xml config

2017-03-16 14:21:59 GMT <ohej> Which is great, every module generates their own rebel.xml and we're good to go

2017-03-16 14:22:05 GMT <ohej> For Hotswap agent it's not so easy

2017-03-16 14:22:18 GMT <yreg> so even if I hove that feature I might as well deactivate it out of precaution

2017-03-16 14:22:20 GMT <ohej> There can only be *one* hotswap-agent.properties file per webapp

2017-03-16 14:22:22 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: They actually advise against creating your own rebel.xml files - so maybe there is a bit of over engineering here

2017-03-16 14:22:44 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, +1

2017-03-16 14:22:54 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: Yep, the SDK doesn't do anything like that, we use JRebel's maven plugin to figure it out

2017-03-16 14:23:01 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: okay

2017-03-16 14:23:09 GMT <ohej> So with hotswap agent

2017-03-16 14:23:21 GMT <ohej> each module can't provide their own configuration

2017-03-16 14:23:35 GMT <ohej> there has to be one per webapp, so one for the repository, one for share

2017-03-16 14:23:52 GMT <douglascrp> ohej, that's ok for me

2017-03-16 14:23:56 GMT <ohej> That's OK, but the main point of these config files is to tell hotswap which directories to hotreload from

2017-03-16 14:24:30 GMT <ohej> And here comes the trouble: This means you have to inject the paths into the hotswap-agent.properties for Share and for the repository, for each module you have

2017-03-16 14:24:51 GMT <ohej> This is similar to the virtual webapp stuff we do in SDK 2.x, and is generally just a horrible experience

2017-03-16 14:24:58 GMT <ohej> because if you add/remove modules you have to adjust the paths

2017-03-16 14:25:03 GMT <ohej> Here's an example:

2017-03-16 14:25:06 GMT <bhagyas> provide a perl script to create this file <3

2017-03-16 14:25:13 GMT <bhagyas> ;)

2017-03-16 14:25:26 GMT <yreg> and ohej are you saying that there might be some confusion when you have a class with the same package and name but different def in both webapps

2017-03-16 14:25:45 GMT <ohej> extraClasspath=/Users/ohejlskov/work/sdk/sdk-test/3.x/aiofinal3/aiofinal3-platform-jar/target/classes;/Users/ohejlskov/work/sdk/sdk-test/3.x/aiofinal3/aiofinal3-platform-jar/target/test-classes;/;/Users/ohejlskov/work/sdk/sdk-test/3.x/aiofinal3/integration-tests/target/classes;/Users/ohejlskov/work/sdk/sdk-test/3.x/aiofinal3/integration-tests/target/test-classes

2017-03-16 14:26:05 GMT <Loftux> Maybe Alfresco can create their own hotswap framework that works just with Alfresco ;)

2017-03-16 14:26:19 GMT <yreg> Loftux, not a good idea at all

2017-03-16 14:26:34 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: That is exactly the issue I'm having

2017-03-16 14:26:45 GMT <ohej> Loftux: hah, nope :P

2017-03-16 14:26:55 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: can we use the maven filtering plugin to create/update this file - at a prepare goal

2017-03-16 14:27:21 GMT <ohej> So the issue here is that either you have handcraft this to get hotswap agent to work, or do some Maven magic to generate it for you

2017-03-16 14:27:36 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: I think you can just do with the filtering plugin, instead of magic

2017-03-16 14:27:39 GMT <yreg> ohej, alfresco-generator from bindu was quite effective in adding those kind of things (unfortunately it did not provide the option to remove paths as well)

2017-03-16 14:27:41 GMT <bhagyas> but I've heard magic is easy

2017-03-16 14:28:43 GMT <ohej> So I decided to do an experiment last night, quite easy: Have the alfresco-maven-plugin iterate the maven modules and generate the config

2017-03-16 14:29:05 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: oh no.

2017-03-16 14:29:19 GMT <ohej> It worked, but there's an issue.. Looping all the modules means that both repository modules and share modules gets mixed

2017-03-16 14:29:31 GMT <ohej> So with this in mind.. share loads the repo modules and the repo loads the share modules

2017-03-16 14:29:39 GMT <ohej> we do *not* want that to happen

2017-03-16 14:29:42 GMT <yreg> ohej, not a good idea, and definitely wouldn't like to see that on every invokation of mvn

2017-03-16 14:30:01 GMT <bhagyas> xD

2017-03-16 14:30:04 GMT <yreg> maybe "mvn validate -Pfix-hotswap-conf"

2017-03-16 14:31:02 GMT <yreg> ohej, oh !

2017-03-16 14:31:19 GMT <ohej> So that's easy right, we just have to figure out which modules are share modules and which are repository modules...

2017-03-16 14:31:30 GMT <ohej> That's where I stopped and started thinking this isn't a great idea :P

2017-03-16 14:31:40 GMT <ohej> ... mostly because there is no reliable way for Maven to know what is what

2017-03-16 14:31:45 GMT <ohej> So this is where I need your help

2017-03-16 14:32:07 GMT <ohej> I'd love nothing more than the SDK being able to wire up and configure hotswap agent automatically, but the nature of doing so is going to be so painful..

2017-03-16 14:32:40 GMT <bhagyas> SDK itself is painful - ask AFaust

2017-03-16 14:32:42 GMT <bhagyas> ;)

2017-03-16 14:32:51 GMT <yreg> ohej, I understand this is only an issue in AIO ? right ?

2017-03-16 14:33:07 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: Can you store the template as a separate location and use maven resources plugin filtering to import it

2017-03-16 14:33:14 GMT <bhagyas> with the tokens replaced

2017-03-16 14:33:32 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: that is essentially what I did, but the problem becomes determining which modules to include

2017-03-16 14:33:43 GMT <Loftux> I think you can lay that to rest, if it setup once that is ok, if you add or rename modules you have to know what your ar doing

2017-03-16 14:33:44 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: wdym

2017-03-16 14:33:44 GMT <angelborroy> (I’ve never used AIO)

2017-03-16 14:33:57 GMT <ohej> yreg: yes and now. With SDK 3 the lines can easily blur between a single JAR and a multi-module project

2017-03-16 14:34:23 GMT <douglascrp> angelborroy, I also use independent projects for repo and share

2017-03-16 14:34:25 GMT <douglascrp> never AIO

2017-03-16 14:34:48 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: will there be a single archetype project layout for both repo and share in SDK 3?

2017-03-16 14:35:12 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: yes, there's a share-jar-archetype, platform-jar-archetype and all-in-one

2017-03-16 14:35:15 GMT <yreg> ohej, douglascrp IMHO running the embedded tomcat from the SDK with multiple modules does not mean you should be developing on them all

2017-03-16 14:35:32 GMT <yreg> and only the concerned project should have this feature

2017-03-16 14:35:42 GMT * AFaust is trying not be smug or smile about hearing all the hot reload hurdles...

2017-03-16 14:35:42 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: so why can't you include individual resource filtering configurations in each archetype generated pom?

2017-03-16 14:35:45 GMT <ohej> the only difference between the standalone archetypes and AIO is that AIO has a platform, share and integration tests module

2017-03-16 14:36:14 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: Wait until the battle for annotation and xml comes up

2017-03-16 14:36:16 GMT <bhagyas> ;-)

2017-03-16 14:36:24 GMT <angelborroy> ohej so you can produce 3 repo and 2 share modules with just one AIO?

2017-03-16 14:36:24 GMT <yreg> integration tests modules ?

2017-03-16 14:36:37 GMT <ohej> angelborroy: yes

2017-03-16 14:36:45 GMT <angelborroy> It looks interesting

2017-03-16 14:36:48 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: if so, why can't you use individual resource filtering configurations for each archetype generated POM files?

2017-03-16 14:36:59 GMT <ohej> angelborroy: or you could just generate AIO, remove the share module and have 10 repo modules

2017-03-16 14:37:00 GMT <AFaust> bhagyas: As long as that only affects SDK users (victims) I would not care about that....

2017-03-16 14:37:07 GMT <yreg> angelborroy, that was already possible with 2.x AFAIK

2017-03-16 14:37:14 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: Sure………

2017-03-16 14:37:26 GMT <angelborroy> yreg probably

2017-03-16 14:37:43 GMT <angelborroy> yreg I’ll take a second chance on AIO then

2017-03-16 14:38:02 GMT <fwu> ppl, cant I use "search.findNode" inside a client side js?

2017-03-16 14:38:09 GMT <yreg> angelborroy, you should probably peek on alfresco-generator as well

2017-03-16 14:38:12 GMT <angelborroy> anyway having the source code “mixed” is not good for me

2017-03-16 14:38:13 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: the existing SDK uses individual filtering configurations for both repo and share modules

2017-03-16 14:38:14 GMT <AFaust> fwu: no - that is a Repository-tier JavaScript API feature

2017-03-16 14:38:19 GMT <fwu> in the javascript console it works... so the context where it runs must be different

2017-03-16 14:38:40 GMT <angelborroy> JavaScript console is always server JavaScript

2017-03-16 14:38:40 GMT <AFaust> fwu: JavaScript Console is always run as a Repository-tier web script

2017-03-16 14:38:43 GMT <angelborroy> hehe

2017-03-16 14:38:50 GMT <fwu> AFaust, ok. so the javscript console is to test repo tier js...

2017-03-16 14:38:57 GMT <fwu> yeah, ok

2017-03-16 14:39:10 GMT <bhagyas> ok everyone, where is ohej xD

2017-03-16 14:39:29 GMT <ohej> Sorry, my wife had to get out of the door, won't be home until tomorrow so just had to coordinate a few things

2017-03-16 14:39:30 GMT <ohej> anyways

2017-03-16 14:39:39 GMT <AFaust> fwu: The current state of the JavaScript Console is limited to that, true. I have been working on a v2 of that which allows plugging in other target environments, but I haven't had time to work on that recently...

2017-03-16 14:39:39 GMT <bhagyas> there he is

2017-03-16 14:39:42 GMT <angelborroy> As is an AIO issue, I have nothing to say

2017-03-16 14:39:53 GMT <angelborroy> I’m feeling comfortable with separated modules

2017-03-16 14:40:13 GMT <fwu> ok AFaust, nice to now about it :)

2017-03-16 14:40:18 GMT <ohej> So the trick is that I can have the archetypes generate a default config that works with the project you've just generated. If you start renaming, removing or adding modules you have to manually adjust the hotswap config

2017-03-16 14:40:25 GMT <ohej> Would that be acceptable?

2017-03-16 14:40:38 GMT <ohej> or should we try and get some filtering in place that somehow works out the setup?

2017-03-16 14:40:45 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: Use individual resource filtering configs in each archetype generated pom files to generate it

2017-03-16 14:40:56 GMT <bhagyas> why is it that hard?

2017-03-16 14:40:58 GMT <bhagyas> :D

2017-03-16 14:41:11 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: it's hard in an AIO scenario

2017-03-16 14:41:12 GMT <bhagyas> or we can create a simple python script and include it in the SDK

2017-03-16 14:41:14 GMT <fwu> but then I still dont know how to get the properties of a node in client-side javascript...

2017-03-16 14:41:33 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: I don't understand why its hard on AIO, can you explain?

2017-03-16 14:41:35 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: a project could have multiple repo and share modules

2017-03-16 14:41:49 GMT <bhagyas> right..so there are no convention on naming?

2017-03-16 14:41:51 GMT <Loftux> ohej: I say don worry about aut-generation, as long as there is a basic setup for hotswap we can figure things out. My mina problem has been with things hidden in the sdk parent pom, where you often have to go and copy large sections to override your local stuff

2017-03-16 14:41:57 GMT <yreg> ohej, it never harms if we have an extra profile to regenrate that conf right ?

2017-03-16 14:42:02 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: there needs to be a hotswap-agent.properties for share and one for repo

2017-03-16 14:42:34 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: but how would you work out which modules belonogs to share and which belongs to repo?

2017-03-16 14:42:42 GMT <yreg> as for knowing if a module is a repo/share module, we could use same metadata or some property to look that up right ?

2017-03-16 14:42:43 GMT <bhagyas> yeah, is there a convention?

2017-03-16 14:42:53 GMT <bhagyas> for naming the modules, if so things become easier

2017-03-16 14:43:05 GMT <ohej> Currently there isn't. I wouldn't rely on naming

2017-03-16 14:43:16 GMT <bhagyas> otherwise you can have a property to denote what type (repo/share) each module is

2017-03-16 14:43:25 GMT <ohej> a simple thing would be to introduce a property <isPlatformModule>true</isPlatformModule>

2017-03-16 14:43:25 GMT <yreg> I wouldn't as well

2017-03-16 14:43:35 GMT <bhagyas> then depending on the property, you run a replacer with a regex to clean up

2017-03-16 14:43:51 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: Isn't everything a platform with Alfresco now?

2017-03-16 14:43:58 GMT <bhagyas> xD

2017-03-16 14:44:05 GMT <bhagyas> Aikau is also a platform the last time I heard

2017-03-16 14:44:17 GMT <bhagyas> so maybe, Repo or Share would do :D

2017-03-16 14:44:24 GMT <yreg> can't you rely on the dependency/overlay from the share/repo agregator project ?

2017-03-16 14:44:29 GMT <bhagyas> (just semantics)

2017-03-16 14:44:35 GMT <AFaust> bhagyas: Everything is now a "Alfresco XY Service"

2017-03-16 14:44:43 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: trying to align with the new marketing rebranding

2017-03-16 14:44:50 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: Did you watch the Alfresco platform video with ohej on it

2017-03-16 14:45:17 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: yeah, can understand your situation ;D

2017-03-16 14:45:20 GMT <AFaust> Please link it so I can say I have or have not...

2017-03-16 14:45:51 GMT <ohej> -= THIS MESSAGE NOT LOGGED =-

2017-03-16 14:45:55 GMT <bhagyas> https://www.alfresco.com/platform and then https://www.alfresco.com/platform/integrating-extending-alfresco#adf

2017-03-16 14:45:56 GMT <alfbot> Title: The Alfresco Digital Business Platform | Alfresco (at www.alfresco.com)

2017-03-16 14:46:02 GMT <yreg> ohej, if this module figures as a dep in share war aggregator then it's a share module, if it shows up in repo war aggregator then it's a platform module otherwise ignore it

2017-03-16 14:46:06 GMT <AFaust> ohej: All the time at a various customers

2017-03-16 14:46:28 GMT <ohej> you may want to get ready for a fresh game watching that video ;)

2017-03-16 14:46:29 GMT <bhagyas> It's a good video only because ohej is in it :P

2017-03-16 14:46:44 GMT <AFaust> ohej: Among some specific former colleagues/friends we still play the same kind of bingo game we played at our first mutual customer project about 10 to 7 years ago...

2017-03-16 14:46:45 GMT <ohej> anyways, I need to circle back to topic

2017-03-16 14:46:50 GMT <yreg> by ignore it I mean it would probably be some Dynamic Extension or something

2017-03-16 14:46:52 GMT <bhagyas> "Guy tries to explain Alfresco to developers"

2017-03-16 14:46:57 GMT <bhagyas> ah :D

2017-03-16 14:47:19 GMT <ohej> yreg: That could work

2017-03-16 14:48:09 GMT <ohej> Loftux: so if I understand you correctly, you're leaning towards a sensible generated thing that works out of the box, if you change the project layout/modules you're on your own?

2017-03-16 14:48:27 GMT <ohej> yreg: as I understand it you're leaning towards having something that can try to autoconfigure it?

2017-03-16 14:48:45 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: you're leaning towards something that tries to generate it as well?

2017-03-16 14:49:14 GMT <yreg> ohej, I wouldn't want that to be done on every run

2017-03-16 14:49:21 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: I'm in for both and either- since JRebel would work regardless

2017-03-16 14:49:24 GMT <yreg> but I would want to have a profile for that

2017-03-16 14:49:34 GMT <ohej> yreg: we don't have profiles anymore ;)

2017-03-16 14:49:35 GMT <Loftux> ohej: Yes, don't spend more time to automate stuff that may never get used very often. Focus on the core of the sdk to be optimal

2017-03-16 14:49:46 GMT <yreg> and of course the possibility to not activate that profile and do my manual config

2017-03-16 14:49:48 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: and again I think you need to be liberated from the notion that everything 'has to be done' within a maven plugin

2017-03-16 14:49:49 GMT <ohej> yreg: but we do have goals in the plugin

2017-03-16 14:50:07 GMT <bhagyas> since you can get things done with a simple python script or a perl script as well

2017-03-16 14:50:34 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: but that adds additional requirements to your setup. Doing it in the plugin is simple and can easily be turned off

2017-03-16 14:50:47 GMT <bhagyas> run the exec plugin on that script :p

2017-03-16 14:51:15 GMT <ohej> easy if you're not on windows without perl or python

2017-03-16 14:51:17 GMT <bhagyas> make it maintanable and understandable, since the audience is developers they are not afraid to run scripts

2017-03-16 14:51:31 GMT <bhagyas> no one uses windows, except people who write their own SDKs

2017-03-16 14:51:32 GMT <bhagyas> :p

2017-03-16 14:52:50 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: just an observation, since been playing with new frameworks lately, most developers do understand the need for script runtimes

2017-03-16 14:53:00 GMT <bhagyas> so i think you'd get a pass here

2017-03-16 14:53:29 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: I agree with that, but this is a pretty small and easy thing to add in

2017-03-16 14:53:53 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: yeah, but I'd look at getting things done

2017-03-16 14:54:05 GMT <bhagyas> than spending a ton of time perfecting it to fit a particular analogy

2017-03-16 14:54:29 GMT <bhagyas> (wrote a python script yesterday to replace a build tool)

2017-03-16 14:54:40 GMT <ohej> So based on all of your feedback: A goal that you manually run that generates a hotswap-agent.properties for each would be good enough. Then you have full control over it after that, and if you mess it up you can generate a fresh one

2017-03-16 14:55:19 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: generate/repair

2017-03-16 14:55:42 GMT <AFaust> ohej, bhagyas: Running any number of scripts that are already supported by the environment / build tooling is perfectly fine. For me it stops with being forced to use some trashy, hipster environment that is common in the web development world that shall go unnamed...

2017-03-16 14:55:50 GMT <bhagyas> AFa

2017-03-16 14:56:00 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: Aren't your applications running on the browser?

2017-03-16 14:56:01 GMT <bhagyas> ;P

2017-03-16 14:56:08 GMT <ohej> I think for a first pass just generate a new one will be the eaiest solution, reparing one will just add to the workload

2017-03-16 14:56:41 GMT <bhagyas> yeah, repair would basically mean re-create

2017-03-16 14:56:43 GMT <bhagyas> :D

2017-03-16 14:56:56 GMT <bhagyas> just a suggestion on terminology

2017-03-16 14:56:58 GMT <AFaust> bhagyas: So? There the environment "already supports" that type of scripting that is used, so it perfectly fits with my statement...

2017-03-16 14:57:23 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: Right now, there are no trashy hipster environments I can think of

2017-03-16 14:57:35 GMT <bhagyas> most ones have died off, and the ones surviving are pretty good

2017-03-16 14:57:41 GMT <IanW1> ohej: I think that's right - I do use AIO but in general will only be working on one module (or repo/share pair) at a time - so long as I can decide what is hot swapped then that should be good enough - don't mind restarting if necessary

2017-03-16 14:58:03 GMT <bhagyas> In fact, the definition of hipster is creating your own one thinking everything else is broken

2017-03-16 14:58:03 GMT <ohej> Righty, thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it

2017-03-16 14:58:11 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: You're welcome :)

2017-03-16 14:58:24 GMT <ohej> IanW1: Good point

2017-03-16 14:58:30 GMT <AFaust> bhagyas: There's a reason the one I was thinking about "shall go unnamed"...

2017-03-16 14:58:32 GMT <IanW1> Actually I find running with the debug script and using eclipse works quite well without doing anything else...

2017-03-16 14:58:35 GMT <ohej> I'll keep it simple then we can reiterate

2017-03-16 14:58:46 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: you mean Aikau

2017-03-16 14:58:46 GMT <ohej> I have a meeting starting in a minute, again thanks for all the feedback

2017-03-16 14:59:06 GMT <bhagyas> or maybe not :p

2017-03-16 14:59:13 GMT <AFaust> ...maybe not...

2017-03-16 14:59:18 GMT <bhagyas> :D

2017-03-16 14:59:29 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: cool! keep us updated

2017-03-16 14:59:30 GMT <bhagyas> :)

2017-03-16 15:00:49 GMT <ohej> If you're interested I can do an adhoc hangout and demo tomorrow

2017-03-16 15:00:58 GMT <bhagyas> sure, that'd be fun

2017-03-16 15:06:07 GMT <yreg> ohej, count me in

2017-03-16 15:07:15 GMT <yreg> ohej and if the new sdk we got rid of all old profiles, that does not mean profiles are evil and we should stay out of it, it probably means that maybe they were not the best solution for our usecase

2017-03-16 15:08:26 GMT <yreg> anyway looking forward to test out the final version of the SDK (will probably pull the current version this weekend, build it locally and give it a run)

2017-03-16 15:08:43 GMT *** yreg is now known as yregaieg

2017-03-16 15:08:49 GMT *** yregaieg is now known as yreg

2017-03-16 15:09:01 GMT *** yreg is now known as yregaieg

2017-03-16 15:09:12 GMT *** yregaieg is now known as yreg

2017-03-16 15:12:54 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, I am using the beta5 for quite a while

2017-03-16 15:21:05 GMT <yreg> douglascrp, I wouldn't setup a prod project with beta technology

2017-03-16 15:21:19 GMT <yreg> but I had my share of experimentation with that as well

2017-03-16 15:21:52 GMT <yreg> and some of the guys on my team do use SDK 3 already in the client projects (which I am not 100% in favor of)

2017-03-16 15:44:55 GMT <fwu> ppl,

2017-03-16 15:45:23 GMT <fwu> is there something in Alfresco we can use to set lines of code+description values?

2017-03-16 15:45:33 GMT <fwu> so that we then can use it somewhere?

2017-03-16 15:45:49 GMT <fwu> right now I have a lot of custom lists hard-coded in the models

2017-03-16 15:46:03 GMT <fwu> I know I can connect to a database table

2017-03-16 15:46:15 GMT <fwu> but then I will need a backoffice or something like that

2017-03-16 15:46:51 GMT <fwu> so I was wondering if there is something in Alfresco I can use as the "backoffice" for code/description items

2017-03-16 15:47:59 GMT <fwu> someplace where I cna define tables of data

2017-03-16 15:54:57 GMT <IanW1> fwu: I use site datalists

2017-03-16 15:57:59 GMT <fwu> IanW1, thats it!

2017-03-16 15:58:34 GMT <fwu> Can you tell me how can I associate it as a constraint to a custom property?

2017-03-16 15:58:59 GMT <douglascrp> fwu, like this? https://github.com/douglascrp/alfresco-value-assistance

2017-03-16 15:59:00 GMT <alfbot> Title: GitHub - douglascrp/alfresco-value-assistance: Configurable value assistance module for Alfresco Share that allows picklists to be managed using datalists. (at github.com)

2017-03-16 16:00:25 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, but the sdk is only generating the deliverables, so I see no problem with that

2017-03-16 16:00:46 GMT <douglascrp> what I have to make sure if that the package is in the right format, and that my custom is ok

2017-03-16 16:01:04 GMT <douglascrp> so, I see no problem with SDK beta as it is not THE deliverable

2017-03-16 16:02:45 GMT <fwu> douglascrp lololo

2017-03-16 16:02:56 GMT <fwu> thats it :P

2017-03-16 16:02:59 GMT <douglascrp> fwu, ?

2017-03-16 16:03:03 GMT <douglascrp> lololo ?

2017-03-16 16:03:04 GMT <douglascrp> :D

2017-03-16 16:03:08 GMT <fwu> off course

2017-03-16 16:03:16 GMT <fwu> I was searching for that for a long time!

2017-03-16 16:03:34 GMT <fwu> you have it and ddint told me ehhehee

2017-03-16 16:03:38 GMT <fwu> thank you! :)

2017-03-16 16:03:45 GMT <douglascrp> well, you didn't ask

2017-03-16 16:03:48 GMT <douglascrp> np

2017-03-16 16:03:53 GMT <douglascrp> let me know if you have problems with it

2017-03-16 16:03:57 GMT <douglascrp> I use it all the time

2017-03-16 16:04:03 GMT <fwu> ok, nice. I will test it!

2017-03-16 16:04:03 GMT <douglascrp> and it has been working for me since then

2017-03-16 16:04:15 GMT <douglascrp> actually, I am working in a project using it rightnow

2017-03-16 16:04:18 GMT <douglascrp> right now

2017-03-16 16:04:37 GMT <douglascrp> it is not the best project, I know it has lots of limitations, but it does the trick for what I need

2017-03-16 16:05:25 GMT <fwu> I just need a tabl where users may manage code/descriptions and set it as constraints

2017-03-16 16:05:33 GMT <fwu> it seems it will work fine

2017-03-16 16:05:38 GMT <douglascrp> ok

2017-03-16 16:05:43 GMT <fwu> it is a big improvement for any application

2017-03-16 16:05:55 GMT <fwu> many thanks!

2017-03-16 16:06:05 GMT <douglascrp> I hope you find it useful, and if may improve it, it will be even better

2017-03-16 16:06:07 GMT <douglascrp> enjoy

2017-03-16 16:19:09 GMT <IanW1> douglascrp: better than my approach I just use an association to /app:company_home/st:sites/cm:xxxx/cm:dataLists/cm:xxxx

2017-03-16 16:21:21 GMT <IanW1> which doesn't need any additional code to do but is a bit clunky

2017-03-16 16:38:04 GMT <yreg> douglascrp, fair enough

2017-03-16 18:16:53 GMT <douglascrp> ~later tell IanW1 I would want to understand what you did and how

2017-03-16 18:16:53 GMT <alfbot> douglascrp: The operation succeeded.

2017-03-16 21:34:05 GMT <fwu> back!

2017-03-16 21:36:42 GMT <fwu> douglascrp, is there somewhere from where I can download the amps for the alfresco-value-assistance add-on?

2017-03-16 21:37:03 GMT <fwu> I would like to test it quickly without the need to create the project on my side.

2017-03-16 21:37:20 GMT <fwu> I also believe it will work in Alfresco 4.2.7 :)

End of Daily Log

The other logs are at http://esplins.org/hash_alfresco