Daily Log for #alfresco IRC Channel

Alfresco discussion and collaboration. Stick around a few hours after asking a question.

Official support for Enterprise subscribers: support.alfresco.com.

Joining the Channel:

Join in the conversation by getting an IRC client and connecting to #alfresco at Freenode. Our you can use the IRC web chat.

More information about the channel is in the wiki.

Getting Help

More help is available in this list of resources.

Daily Log for #alfresco

2017-04-03 04:47:59 GMT <joyson> Hi Guys, I am trying to import some sites during alfresco patch concept, I was able to achieve this for sites with smaller data ~900 MB Now I have done the same for larger sites ~2.2 GB and the repository amp has both sites now ~900 MB + ~2.2GB the patch for 900MB site runs fine there are no errors

2017-04-03 04:48:09 GMT <joyson> But for 2.2GB site it takes lot of time to run, and at the end it throws 2017-04-02 02:00:41,399 ERROR [quartz.core.JobRunShell] [SearchScheduler_Worker-10] Job DEFAULT.search.alfrescoCoreBackupJobDetail threw an unhandled Exception: org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: 03020005 Backup for core alfresco failed .... Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out I have created pastebin for full stack t

2017-04-03 06:56:35 GMT <yregaieg> Good morning folks

2017-04-03 06:56:48 GMT *** yregaieg is now known as Guest66521

2017-04-03 08:22:04 GMT *** yreg is now known as Guest39842

2017-04-03 08:50:08 GMT <fcorti> Good morning all,

2017-04-03 08:50:29 GMT <fcorti> A reminder for today's Office Hour with Thomas De Meo and Richard Esplin

2017-04-03 08:50:42 GMT <fcorti> about the Alfresco vision on products

2017-04-03 08:51:16 GMT <fcorti> This is not a overlap with Thomas's speech at the Beecon, but a "first part" and introduction

2017-04-03 08:51:57 GMT <fcorti> If you have questions in advance, contact me and we will be happy to list them in advance to be sure they will be answered

2017-04-03 08:51:59 GMT <fcorti> https://www.alfresco.com/events/webinars/office-hours-w-alfresco-product-management

2017-04-03 08:52:00 GMT <alfbot> Title: Office Hours w. Alfresco Product Management | Alfresco (at www.alfresco.com)

2017-04-03 08:52:55 GMT <bhagyas> Can't wait till they drop Aikau and announce ADF based new UI!

2017-04-03 08:54:40 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: When is the time in GMT?

2017-04-03 08:55:09 GMT <fcorti> 4 pm CEST

2017-04-03 08:55:12 GMT <fcorti> In 5 hours

2017-04-03 08:55:13 GMT <fcorti> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnMf7OK4Pt4

2017-04-03 08:55:18 GMT <bhagyas> awesome

2017-04-03 08:55:19 GMT <bhagyas> thanks :)

2017-04-03 08:55:24 GMT <fcorti> :-)

2017-04-03 08:55:32 GMT <fcorti> you are welcome

2017-04-03 08:56:12 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: how have you been lately

2017-04-03 08:56:15 GMT <bhagyas> :)

2017-04-03 08:56:51 GMT <fcorti> well, running a lot... there is a lot to do

2017-04-03 08:56:51 GMT <bhagyas> -= THIS MESSAGE NOT LOGGED =-

2017-04-03 08:56:54 GMT <fcorti> but nice things to do

2017-04-03 08:57:03 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Are you in Italy right now?

2017-04-03 08:57:07 GMT <fcorti> yep

2017-04-03 08:57:21 GMT <bhagyas> fc

2017-04-03 08:57:26 GMT <fcorti> I think you can dress in pink ;-)

2017-04-03 08:57:33 GMT <fcorti> (but please share a photo)

2017-04-03 08:57:38 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: How did you know :p

2017-04-03 08:57:43 GMT <fcorti> :-D

2017-04-03 08:58:00 GMT <fcorti> This topic will be covered...

2017-04-03 08:58:07 GMT <fcorti> I take this as a first question ;-)

2017-04-03 08:58:21 GMT <bhagyas> haha

2017-04-03 08:58:34 GMT <bhagyas> well, once you put ADF into perspective, I don't think Alfresco can hide it anymore

2017-04-03 08:59:20 GMT <fcorti> Today Thomas and Richard will share the vision around ADF and Share

2017-04-03 09:00:08 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: ADF and JS API makes a lot of sense

2017-04-03 09:00:45 GMT <bhagyas> the JS API completeness is something really interesting - it looks even better than the current API

2017-04-03 09:02:17 GMT <fcorti> I think we will required more than today to cover all the details... but having Thomas it a nice opportunity

2017-04-03 09:02:39 GMT <fcorti> I'm pretty sure this will be a big topic also at the Beecon

2017-04-03 09:03:10 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: So many people are going to be hurt abotu Aikau xD

2017-04-03 09:03:34 GMT <bhagyas> -= THIS MESSAGE NOT LOGGED =-

2017-04-03 09:03:55 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Is Thomas going to show up at BeeCon?

2017-04-03 09:04:19 GMT <fcorti> Well, I think the discussion will be much more WHEN is suggested (not forced) to use ADF and WHEN is suggested (not forced) to use Share

2017-04-03 09:04:54 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Share will be eventually discontinued? Tell me its true

2017-04-03 09:04:55 GMT <bhagyas> :p

2017-04-03 09:04:55 GMT <fcorti> -= THIS MESSAGE NOT LOGGED =-

2017-04-03 09:05:20 GMT <fcorti> Is this the second question?

2017-04-03 09:05:27 GMT <fcorti> The answer is clear: NO!

2017-04-03 09:05:44 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: So a new client named 'Share' but not Share will show up anytime soon?

2017-04-03 09:05:56 GMT <bhagyas> That clears up a bit xD

2017-04-03 09:06:04 GMT <bhagyas> I like you being direct here

2017-04-03 09:06:05 GMT <bhagyas> hehe

2017-04-03 09:06:30 GMT <fcorti> ....come on... you want to find things where things does not exists

2017-04-03 09:06:41 GMT <fcorti> :_-)

2017-04-03 09:06:50 GMT <bhagyas> fcr

2017-04-03 09:07:02 GMT <bhagyas> how can Share be justified when ADF exists?

2017-04-03 09:07:30 GMT <fcorti> and the third question cames...

2017-04-03 09:07:31 GMT <bhagyas> -= THIS MESSAGE NOT LOGGED =-

2017-04-03 09:07:32 GMT <bhagyas> ;p

2017-04-03 09:07:58 GMT <fcorti> are you agree if we postpone the discussion for the Office Hours?

2017-04-03 09:08:05 GMT <fcorti> Don't want to anticipate all the topics

2017-04-03 09:08:06 GMT <fcorti> :-P

2017-04-03 09:08:16 GMT <fcorti> Otherwise Thomas will kick me ;-)

2017-04-03 09:08:19 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: I can't guarantee I will be there, but I can guarantee I'm here now :p

2017-04-03 09:08:20 GMT <bhagyas> hahha

2017-04-03 09:08:47 GMT <fcorti> Ok, so tomorrow I'll be more than happy to share thoughts

2017-04-03 09:09:09 GMT <bhagyas> :/

2017-04-03 09:09:38 GMT <fcorti> again: it's not a matter of "secrets" but I don't want to spoiler the content... that's all

2017-04-03 09:09:48 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Will there be any updates on Java based Alfresco platform?

2017-04-03 09:10:16 GMT <fcorti> in any case... today's discussion is more than ADF/Share/Aikau

2017-04-03 09:10:34 GMT <bhagyas> there is no such thing called spoiling when it comes to open source projects

2017-04-03 09:10:35 GMT <bhagyas> :P

2017-04-03 09:10:54 GMT <bhagyas> riiiiiight?

2017-04-03 09:11:06 GMT <fcorti> Having Richard is a great help also on this question but today won't be on "details" but on "vision"

2017-04-03 09:11:10 GMT <fcorti> Yes, true...

2017-04-03 09:11:39 GMT <fcorti> but it's also fair to speak when the strategy is clear

2017-04-03 09:11:42 GMT <fcorti> not before ;-)

2017-04-03 09:11:49 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Isn't talking about Vision for three years the opposite of vision?

2017-04-03 09:11:51 GMT <bhagyas> :p

2017-04-03 09:12:00 GMT <bhagyas> okay

2017-04-03 09:53:24 GMT <Modestas> Hello guys

2017-04-03 09:53:31 GMT <Modestas> As always I have a question

2017-04-03 09:54:06 GMT <Modestas> is it possible to change solr4 with solr6 in alfresco?

2017-04-03 09:54:20 GMT <Modestas> or it is too much coupled and needs some kind of coding?

2017-04-03 09:54:36 GMT <angelborroy> Alfresco 201712 is using SOLR 6

2017-04-03 09:54:51 GMT <Modestas> we still use 201605

2017-04-03 09:54:58 GMT <angelborroy> Maybe you can upgrade to 201702

2017-04-03 09:55:31 GMT <Modestas> we have plans, but they lead to the end of the year and user asks us if it is possible to do right now

2017-04-03 09:59:20 GMT <angelborroy> Modestas I don’t think so

2017-04-03 09:59:36 GMT <angelborroy> Modestas why the user wants to upgrade now?

2017-04-03 10:00:16 GMT <Modestas> he has newer solr running on separate machine

2017-04-03 10:00:28 GMT <Modestas> and user says that read operations is faster than in solr4

2017-04-03 10:00:40 GMT <angelborroy> probably, but I’m not sure

2017-04-03 10:14:53 GMT <qwebirc25105> Hi Guys, I am trying to import site as patch, the exported sites have around 12.5k documents and its taking lot of time to create these documents.. around 1 document per second. Is there any way that I can speed up the execution ??

2017-04-03 10:17:18 GMT <AFaust> fcorti: Don't know why bhagyas added the mention about not trying to be that way today - so far he was is usual self.

2017-04-03 10:17:45 GMT <AFaust> But his questions did touch on the expectations / assumptions / fears that a lot of people have

2017-04-03 10:18:20 GMT <AFaust> Also the remark regarding "lack of vision" (for years)

2017-04-03 10:19:29 GMT <fcorti> AFaust: probably bhagyas feel "less bhagyas" today. :-)

2017-04-03 10:19:54 GMT <AFaust> Though I cannot see the "who needs Share if ADF exists" argument - they are for completely separate use cases. ADF for "feature limited but focussed apps", Share for "collaborative, general purpose, cross-department DMS platform"

2017-04-03 10:20:26 GMT <fcorti> Talking about the content: today is a starting point because the topic is huge and want to have an open discussion

2017-04-03 10:20:45 GMT <AFaust> Unless ADF provides simple configuration options similar to what Share already has (e.g. doclib actions) WITHOUT forcing code

2017-04-03 10:21:10 GMT <fcorti> Yes, agree: the use cases are different

2017-04-03 10:22:14 GMT <AFaust> Feels like every such session is a "starting point". I thought last years BeeCon should have already been that "starting point" regarding vision of UI... That is one of the reasons he remarked about "talking about vision for three years"

2017-04-03 10:23:12 GMT <AFaust> And I feel there already was a lot of discussion at last year's Beecon - at least I attempted to have such with Alfresco people, but afterwards it was clear that no one was willing to really listen.

2017-04-03 10:23:18 GMT *** yreg is now known as Guest146

2017-04-03 10:23:43 GMT *** Guest146 is now known as yregaieg

2017-04-03 10:23:45 GMT <AFaust> But let's wait until the Office Hours later...

2017-04-03 10:23:47 GMT <yregaieg> ~since

2017-04-03 10:23:47 GMT <alfbot> yregaieg: <joyson> Hi Guys, I am trying to import some sites during alfresco patch concept, I was able to achieve this for sites with smaller data ~900 MB Now I have done the same for larger sites ~2.2 GB and the repository amp has both sites now ~900 MB + ~2.2GB the patch for 900MB site runs fine there are no errors and <joyson> But for 2.2GB site it takes lot of time to run, and at the end it throws 2017-04-02 (1 more message)

2017-04-03 10:24:12 GMT *** yregaieg is now known as Guest2211

2017-04-03 10:24:27 GMT * AFaust will keep his http://emojicons.com/table-flipping open for quick reference if there is any need later...

2017-04-03 10:24:28 GMT <alfbot> Title: Table Flipping :: Emojicons (at emojicons.com)

2017-04-03 10:25:33 GMT <AFaust> yregaieg: You are using the "patch concept" for that? A custom patch class or the default site bootstrap? If custom, are you using BatchProcessor for that?

2017-04-03 10:28:17 GMT <AFaust> I would normally use the ModuleComponent one, but for a one-time bootstrap it should not matter

2017-04-03 10:29:35 GMT <qwebirc25105> I am using default site load patch org.alfresco.repo.admin.patch.impl.SiteLoadPatch

2017-04-03 10:30:52 GMT <qwebirc25105> I ran the same patch in windows i7 processor / 8 GB ram the result is still the same.. this time it was slower there are no exception ??

2017-04-03 10:30:52 GMT <angelborroy> qwebirc25105 why not to use import tool from command line?

2017-04-03 10:33:29 GMT <qwebirc25105> @angelborroy I am using community version.. If the import tool available for alfresco community.. from where I can get that ?

2017-04-03 10:34:56 GMT <angelborroy> http://docs.alfresco.com/community/concepts/Bulk-Import-Tool.html

2017-04-03 10:34:57 GMT <alfbot> Title: Using the Bulk Import tool | Alfresco Documentation (at docs.alfresco.com)

2017-04-03 10:37:57 GMT <angelborroy> or you can also explore this sample project https://github.com/Alfresco/alfresco-demo-data

2017-04-03 10:37:58 GMT <alfbot> Title: GitHub - Alfresco/alfresco-demo-data: How to load (demo) content when Alfresco boots (at github.com)

2017-04-03 10:38:04 GMT <qwebirc25105> I have content in .acp format which I have exported from another running alfresco instance

2017-04-03 10:38:10 GMT <angelborroy> which is (more or less) the same approach you are using

2017-04-03 10:39:38 GMT <qwebirc25105> Thanks I'll take a look at it

2017-04-03 10:55:29 GMT *** angelborroy_ is now known as angelborroy

2017-04-03 12:11:36 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: 2 hours moreeee

2017-04-03 13:03:12 GMT <fcorti> bhagyas ;-)

2017-04-03 13:09:11 GMT *** yreg is now known as Guest27469

2017-04-03 13:21:58 GMT <kgastaldo> Just a reminder - Office Hours starts in 40 min with Thomas DeMeo and Richard Esplin

2017-04-03 13:46:29 GMT <resplin> I'm looking forward to office hours today.

2017-04-03 13:48:34 GMT <angelborroy> me too ;-)

2017-04-03 13:50:51 GMT <douglascrp> +1

2017-04-03 13:50:56 GMT <douglascrp> good morning btw

2017-04-03 13:52:04 GMT <aviriel> douglascrp: good morning :)

2017-04-03 13:52:44 GMT <aviriel> resplin: yep, it's interesting to see after AFaust said "resplin have hinted that I will not be pleased about it". Even I will watch it after that :)

2017-04-03 13:53:09 GMT <douglascrp> hmmm

2017-04-03 13:53:09 GMT <resplin> Um, I don't remember that hint.

2017-04-03 13:53:13 GMT <douglascrp> that is not good

2017-04-03 13:53:16 GMT <douglascrp> Run to the hills

2017-04-03 13:53:24 GMT <resplin> I don't remember what I was talking about.

2017-04-03 13:54:22 GMT <Guest27469> resplin: I remember that, you were talking about the new contribution process & the future of share and aikau

2017-04-03 13:54:47 GMT <resplin> Oh yeah. I'm still waking up.

2017-04-03 13:54:47 GMT <aviriel> :)

2017-04-03 13:55:01 GMT <resplin> There won't be any big announcement today.

2017-04-03 13:55:04 GMT <resplin> But we can discuss it.

2017-04-03 13:55:40 GMT <Loftux> resplin: Discuss big announcements?

2017-04-03 13:55:55 GMT <aviriel> ok, then I can go away

2017-04-03 13:56:29 GMT <resplin> aviriel: I hope you find it useful anyway.

2017-04-03 13:56:35 GMT <aviriel> resplin: I hope so :)

2017-04-03 13:56:41 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: cheer up

2017-04-03 13:57:19 GMT <AFaust> resplin: May not have been in explicit words but some side remarks / reading between the lines gave me some impressions

2017-04-03 13:57:26 GMT <resplin> It's hard to wake up this morning. And it is even an hour earlier for Thomas!

2017-04-03 13:57:40 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: what time is it now

2017-04-03 13:58:17 GMT <resplin> 8AM for me, and 7AM for Thomas.

2017-04-03 13:59:12 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: I'm sure he is excited as you are :D what time did the sun go up?

2017-04-03 13:59:21 GMT <Guest27469> come on Richard ! that's not that early :P

2017-04-03 13:59:35 GMT -resplin- Alfresco Office Hours is live on : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnMf7OK4Pt4

2017-04-03 13:59:45 GMT <resplin> Whoops, I was 30 seconds early.

2017-04-03 14:00:03 GMT <resplin> Younes was showing me how to do it, but I hit enter accidentally.

2017-04-03 14:01:04 GMT <resplin> We are live for real now.

2017-04-03 14:01:19 GMT <resplin> Can someone confirm that the broadcast is working?

2017-04-03 14:01:40 GMT <angelborroy> working fine

2017-04-03 14:01:50 GMT <resplin> Thank you.

2017-04-03 14:02:16 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: works here too

2017-04-03 14:02:46 GMT <Guest27469> Sound and video seem to be out of sync here

2017-04-03 14:02:52 GMT <Guest27469> might be just me

2017-04-03 14:07:42 GMT <AFaust> Did I just hear that right or did I only miss an announcement before? Records Management is going to be Enterprise only from now on?

2017-04-03 14:08:01 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: you're missed quite a lot

2017-04-03 14:08:23 GMT <bhagyas> ;p

2017-04-03 14:08:49 GMT <resplin> Is it still April Fools Day? I can't tell which questions are jokes.

2017-04-03 14:09:18 GMT <resplin> Records Management now has an Enterprise-only add-on, but the current functionality is still open source.

2017-04-03 14:09:40 GMT <bhagyas> xD

2017-04-03 14:10:37 GMT <AFaust> Ok - so I just missed it then

2017-04-03 14:11:09 GMT <Loftux> This is how you do roadmap https://roadmap.nuxeo.com/ Lets discuss if Alfresco can manage that

2017-04-03 14:11:11 GMT <alfbot> Title: Nuxeo Platform Roadmap (at roadmap.nuxeo.com)

2017-04-03 14:11:11 GMT <AFaust> Records Management so far has only been something that I followed on the periphery of my attention

2017-04-03 14:12:38 GMT <AFaust> resplin: You can generally assume that I don't subscribe to "April's Fools" mania

2017-04-03 14:13:16 GMT <resplin> AFaust: I'm glad to be able to answer the question. We will get it into the broadcast as well. Everyone was teasing me about a big announcement earlier, so I wasn't sure if you were continuing the play.

2017-04-03 14:14:33 GMT * AFaust only fools around when it is obvious to notice...

2017-04-03 14:17:08 GMT <AFaust> it is a marketing buzzword that "others" have "made up"

2017-04-03 14:17:37 GMT <AFaust> Gotta love our industry for always comming up with those...

2017-04-03 14:22:20 GMT <Loftux> Thanks for the details of how you work internally, Whats new for us that are external?

2017-04-03 14:24:48 GMT <fcorti> Loftlux, they will show other content soon

2017-04-03 14:34:38 GMT <resplin> AFaust: The challenge of product management is turning marketing buzzwords into actual product. Or tying the product to the buzzwords so that people talk about it.

2017-04-03 14:47:32 GMT <jpotts> Anyone know where the preferred approach for writing and running integration tests with SDK 3.0.0 is documented? Looks like the SDK no longer creates sample tests for some reason.

2017-04-03 14:48:03 GMT <ohej> jpotts: if you go for AIO there is

2017-04-03 14:48:12 GMT <resplin> SDK 3.0.0 is fresh off the presses. I'm not certain that is documented. I think that is the topic of Tech Talk Live coming up.

2017-04-03 14:48:14 GMT <ohej> we know the documentation is lagging behind, we're working on it

2017-04-03 14:48:18 GMT <bhagyas> ohej: Has anything been improved in terms of unit testing?

2017-04-03 14:48:26 GMT <ohej> bhagyas: no for unit testing

2017-04-03 14:48:40 GMT <fcorti> Hi jpotts, join us at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnMf7OK4Pt4

2017-04-03 14:48:41 GMT <aviriel> What about multi-tenancy future?

2017-04-03 14:48:55 GMT <fcorti> Will ask

2017-04-03 14:48:59 GMT <bhagyas> who is playing bingo now

2017-04-03 14:49:10 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: you in?

2017-04-03 14:49:27 GMT * AFaust already crossed out every field

2017-04-03 14:49:28 GMT <aviriel> bhagyas: thinking that I was not right that didn't start doing it :)

2017-04-03 14:49:40 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: xD

2017-04-03 14:49:47 GMT <bhagyas> We're now talking about magic

2017-04-03 14:49:53 GMT <jpotts> Oh, sorry, didn't realize that was going on at the moment

2017-04-03 14:49:56 GMT <bhagyas> I didn't think Alfresco would ever be magical

2017-04-03 14:50:07 GMT <Loftux> Holistic!

2017-04-03 14:50:45 GMT <bhagyas> I think the key word missing here is...

2017-04-03 14:50:47 GMT <bhagyas> imaginary!

2017-04-03 14:51:32 GMT <AFaust> I already knew I was in the transformation business - from paper/unstructured to digital/structured...

2017-04-03 14:51:41 GMT <fcorti> jpotts, you are more than welcome

2017-04-03 14:51:43 GMT <bhagyas> aviriel: AFaust: Let's make a bingo card for BeeCon, shall we?

2017-04-03 14:52:14 GMT <AFaust> Will be too busy until then...

2017-04-03 14:52:18 GMT <aviriel> bhagyas: I hope that we will not need them, but you can for keynotes :)

2017-04-03 14:52:24 GMT <aviriel> will you come?

2017-04-03 14:52:30 GMT <bhagyas> aviriel: Yes, I'll be there

2017-04-03 14:52:35 GMT <aviriel> great

2017-04-03 14:52:39 GMT <bhagyas> I mean BeeCon is no BeeCon without me right :p

2017-04-03 14:52:41 GMT <bhagyas> haha

2017-04-03 14:52:47 GMT <aviriel> of course :)

2017-04-03 14:53:09 GMT <Loftux> Question: Why has Alfresco since start so hard to get a roadmap published with details? As shown it can be done, all we get from Alfresco is an excuse that we are currently in the process of xxx and cannot say just now

2017-04-03 14:54:16 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Can you name a few open source projects Thomas has been involved in? and some presentations like this he has done before?

2017-04-03 14:54:33 GMT <resplin> bhagyas: I don't understand the point of your last question.

2017-04-03 14:54:45 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: I'm trying to get the big picture

2017-04-03 14:54:57 GMT <resplin> He participated in office hours about a year ago.

2017-04-03 14:55:07 GMT <resplin> Keynotes at Summit and BeeCon

2017-04-03 14:55:26 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: Can you share the presentations on Alfresco afterwards?

2017-04-03 14:56:27 GMT <resplin> Alfresco is his first open source company.

2017-04-03 14:59:03 GMT <bhagyas> resplin: publishing roadmaps means there is someone who has to be responsible, which means the roadmaps is at fault

2017-04-03 14:59:09 GMT <bhagyas> xD

2017-04-03 14:59:36 GMT <bhagyas> -= THIS MESSAGE NOT LOGGED =-

2017-04-03 14:59:39 GMT <aviriel> looks like it's not Richard who replies us here. Richard is looking at the webcamera and we see his hands when new posts appears here from him :)

2017-04-03 15:07:17 GMT <jpotts> ohej: I see a small web script controller unit test in the 3.0.0 all-in-one. I don't see a 2.x style integration test that can test things like actions.

2017-04-03 15:17:20 GMT <resplin> Please give us feedback on that office hours section. We knew in advance that we wouldn't be providing the detail that people want (which we do expect to provide at BeeCon), but was the content useful?

2017-04-03 15:17:39 GMT <resplin> I think understanding the marketing spin (though not overdoing it) provides a lot of context for how we make resourcing decisions.

2017-04-03 15:17:54 GMT <resplin> Do you agree, or should we avoid that in the future?

2017-04-03 15:21:54 GMT <resplin> AFaust: So that is what I was referring to with Share. We don't have any sort of end-of-life announcement, but we are spending more resources on ADF development at the moment (which I know is not the strategy that you would recommend).

2017-04-03 15:23:07 GMT <AFaust> I don't really care about how much is spent in ADF if it wouldn't leave everyone else dry and high (or how does that phrase go?)

2017-04-03 15:23:25 GMT <jpotts> High and dry

2017-04-03 15:24:29 GMT <resplin> Yes, that is the consequences of that resourcing decision. But you can see why we made that decision given the way Thomas (and John Netwon) look at the market. We need a better development platform for UI.

2017-04-03 15:24:40 GMT <AFaust> so the other way around then, thanks jpotts

2017-04-03 15:28:01 GMT <jpotts> I only caught the tail end, but I am confused about what's going on with Activiti and ADF. Am I correct that the ADF works with Activiti standalone, not Activiti embedded? Is there an effort to essentially focus on Activiti standalone and less on embedded? (If that's covered earlier in the session, just tell me to go watch it)

2017-04-03 15:28:20 GMT <resplin> That would have been a great question to cover.

2017-04-03 15:28:39 GMT <resplin> This is one of those "not agreed by everyone" items.

2017-04-03 15:29:01 GMT <resplin> I would like to see Activiti embedded go away, and Activiti standalone be deployed alongside the Content Repository the same as Solr.

2017-04-03 15:29:06 GMT <jpotts> I just thought it was funny that Thomas said, "people don't want to think about whether they are working on ECM or BPM" which seems to contradict the idea of splitting them out

2017-04-03 15:29:38 GMT <thijs> I'm not a frequent visitor of the office hours, but I prefer not to have the marketing spin

2017-04-03 15:30:05 GMT <jpotts> With no change in license/cost? ie, people get activiti embedded right now "for free"

2017-04-03 15:30:56 GMT <resplin> Good to know thijs. It's relatively unusual for Office Hours, but it is a big part of Thomas' job so it seemed natural to include. And I think it answers a lot of the resourcing questions people keep asking.

2017-04-03 15:31:07 GMT <resplin> (It was my idea, which is why I'm looking for feedback.)

2017-04-03 15:31:15 GMT <resplin> jpotts: That's the sticky point we are trying to figure out.

2017-04-03 15:31:49 GMT <resplin> The intention is that the current functionality of Activiti embedded would continue to be available at no cost even if we deployed it stand-alone. But there are questions about how to preserve the business model around full blown Activiti.

2017-04-03 15:32:26 GMT <resplin> Thomas doesn't care whether Activiti is embedded or stand-alone. The APIs should allow solutions to move between the two products without difficulty.

2017-04-03 15:32:54 GMT <resplin> But our license model currently sees a difference between "content workflows" and "BPM". The question is whether that is a distinction we should preserve.

2017-04-03 15:34:15 GMT <fwu> hi all!

2017-04-03 15:35:29 GMT <thijs> resplin: I was probably missing the context, and therefore did not really understand it.

2017-04-03 15:37:46 GMT <fwu> ppl, in a parallel WF task, I realize that if I have 2 parallel task and a user from one task adds a document and complete the task, the user of the other parallel task will see the documents the first user added. Can this behavior be configurable?

2017-04-03 15:39:29 GMT <resplin> ~later tell thijs I tried to lay the groundwork in the beginning for how the marketing messaging feeds into the actual roadmap, but I probably wasn't clear enough.

2017-04-03 15:39:29 GMT <alfbot> resplin: The operation succeeded.

2017-04-03 15:41:49 GMT <AFaust> resplin: "preserve the business model around full blown Activiti" - so in order to preserve that model it is ok to cannibalize the Community Edition

2017-04-03 15:42:43 GMT <resplin> ~later tell thijs I thought the marketing stuff would provide useful context for future conversations.

2017-04-03 15:42:43 GMT <alfbot> resplin: The operation succeeded.

2017-04-03 15:43:20 GMT <resplin> AFaust: The intention is to not cannibalize Community Edition

2017-04-03 15:43:40 GMT <resplin> Preserve the functionality that is available today, but improve the architecture

2017-04-03 15:43:41 GMT <AFaust> I thought I read: "I would like to see Activiti embedded go away"

2017-04-03 15:43:53 GMT <resplin> But improve the architecture without cannibalizing the current business.

2017-04-03 15:44:12 GMT <resplin> At the same time as it goes away, I want to make stand-alone Activiti available to everyone all the time.

2017-04-03 15:44:37 GMT <AFaust> But then again you would need to somehow differentiate that from Enteprrise Activiti...

2017-04-03 15:44:38 GMT <resplin> Which is why there is a question about the business model.

2017-04-03 15:45:02 GMT <AFaust> And honestly, a standalone, base Activiti without the integration that embedded provides will be a step back...

2017-04-03 15:45:02 GMT <resplin> OK, I'm getting pulled into a meeting. But I hope we continue these conversations.

2017-04-03 15:45:22 GMT <resplin> Intention is to move the integration to the stand-alone Activiti

2017-04-03 15:53:30 GMT <AFaust> As long as the integration is there from the first day and does not take additional release cycles to complete (I find it strange Activiti Enterprise still does appear to have Kerberos SSO support)...

2017-04-03 16:04:19 GMT *** ChanServ sets mode: +o fcorti

2017-04-03 16:06:30 GMT *** fcorti changes topic to "Alfresco discussion and collaboration. Stick around a few hours after asking a question. Logs: http://chat.alfresco.com Channel help: https://community.alfresco.com/ Official support for Enterprise subscribers: http://support.alfresco.com. Next event is Tech Talk Live #104 about the Test Automation System (TAS): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPLcZ7A_74"

2017-04-03 16:16:55 GMT <fwu> ppl, another question. Someone knows how can I use the search.xpathSearch to get a security group?

2017-04-03 16:17:07 GMT <alfbot> thijs: Sent 37 minutes ago: <resplin> I tried to lay the groundwork in the beginning for how the marketing messaging feeds into the actual roadmap, but I probably wasn't clear enough.

2017-04-03 16:17:08 GMT <alfbot> thijs: Sent 34 minutes ago: <resplin> I thought the marketing stuff would provide useful context for future conversations.

2017-04-03 16:18:45 GMT <AFaust> fwu: Please do not use xpathSearch - it is not a "real" XPath search. It is essentially the same as doing a FTS query for PATH

2017-04-03 16:19:12 GMT <AFaust> fwu: If you want to use "real" XPath search you should use search.selectNodes() instead

2017-04-03 16:20:01 GMT <AFaust> Also, why would you use a XPath search to get a group? Why not simply use the AuthorityService / script root scope objects designed for accessing groups?

2017-04-03 16:23:39 GMT <fwu> AFaust, I was looking into pickeritems.post.json.js and I saw this code there.

2017-04-03 16:26:19 GMT <AFaust> That code is related to Share and is quite old. Also, it is not necessarily "wrong" - just not what you might expect if you want to do a "real" XPath search.

2017-04-03 16:26:36 GMT <AFaust> You know, with actual attribute and axis selectors

2017-04-03 16:28:09 GMT <fwu> AFaust, ok. that is why it was not working.

2017-04-03 16:29:38 GMT <fwu> AFaust, I was just trying to call it from share setting the itemValueType to xpath

End of Daily Log

The other logs are at http://esplins.org/hash_alfresco