Daily Log for #alfresco IRC Channel

Alfresco discussion and collaboration. Stick around a few hours after asking a question.

Official support for Enterprise subscribers: support.alfresco.com.

Joining the Channel:

Join in the conversation by getting an IRC client and connecting to #alfresco at Freenode. Our you can use the IRC web chat.

More information about the channel is in the wiki.

Getting Help

More help is available in this list of resources.

Daily Log for #alfresco

2017-05-05 06:24:40 GMT <bmejias> ~later tell angelborroy ping me when you are around

2017-05-05 06:24:40 GMT <alfbot> bmejias: The operation succeeded.

2017-05-05 07:31:32 GMT <lufana> Hi, I am using alfresco 5.2 e and want to perform some actions from html page like create site. I am using postman to test API http://localhost:8080/alfresco/service/api/sites with body { "sitePreset":"site-dashboard", "shortName":"Marketing", "title": "Marketing", "description":"This site is for marketing people", "visibility": "PUBLIC" } the site is getting created but the dashboard is not comming. please help

2017-05-05 07:32:35 GMT <alfbot> angelborroy: Sent 1 hour and 7 minutes ago: <bmejias> ping me when you are around

2017-05-05 08:13:35 GMT <filip1991> Hi, i'm using alfresco 5.1g and i can't preview .doc, .docx files. When i click view in browser it downloads the document.

2017-05-05 08:16:43 GMT <filip1991> Also there's no pdf.worker.js source when i open browser sources

2017-05-05 10:03:46 GMT <bhagyas> Is anyone aware of the where the {node.nodeRef} replacement happens when configuring Share forms?

2017-05-05 10:03:57 GMT <bhagyas> AFaust: ping ^

2017-05-05 10:05:22 GMT <AFaust> In the JS function that handles the form-based action...

2017-05-05 10:06:05 GMT <bhagyas> itemId and itemKind?

2017-05-05 10:06:18 GMT <bhagyas> I thought they were replaced through a Surf class

2017-05-05 10:08:59 GMT <bhagyas> Looking at "onActionFormDialogWithSubmitDisable" (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

2017-05-05 10:14:29 GMT <mbui> So we're having an internal ECM/Alfresco day at our company. Attending to BeeCon for the first time I got this entirely new vision for Alfresco community/OOTB and how to contribute to it. Somehow transferring this experience to my fellow colleagues on this internal alfresco meeting would be awesome. So I was thinking that maybe inviting a member of OOTB or something to talk about contributing to the community (physical or online presen

2017-05-05 10:19:38 GMT <bhagyas> mbui: What type of a session do you have in mind?

2017-05-05 10:23:45 GMT <mbui> bhagyas: Maybe an introduction to OOTB and contributing to Alfresco community (I liked Kristen Gastaldos presentation). For me personally all this stuff presented at BeeCon was pretty new to me and I wasn't aware about that level of community existed. Personally working at an Alfresco Partner as a developer i've only focused into doing customer related stuff, not really understanding the community hype.

2017-05-05 10:26:42 GMT <AFaust> bhagyas: The actions.js => getAction() fn does most of the action parameter substitution

2017-05-05 10:29:20 GMT <AFaust> mbui: I can certainly understand the blinders that one may have when working at a partner. Due to the business model you almost always have to remove the Community Edition (and people that may use it / work with it) from your mind as "not relevant"

2017-05-05 10:30:20 GMT <AFaust> Everytime I talk with some of the partners here in Germany, about 80-90% are typically blissfully unaware of any of the concerns, topics etc. that are of interest in the community.

2017-05-05 10:31:27 GMT <AFaust> Almost none (except for Florian / Jens with js-console) participate at all

2017-05-05 10:33:48 GMT <mbui> AFaust: If you would argue against that, in what way is contributing to the community "relevant" to partners?

2017-05-05 10:34:21 GMT <mbui> Also the reason why I think it'd be a good session/presentation to have at an Alfresco partner. :)

2017-05-05 10:36:47 GMT <mbui> We're around 20-25 Alfresco involed/developers attending to this ECM/Alfresco day. Such a presentation would potentially have quite a big impact on the community I feel.

2017-05-05 10:36:56 GMT <AFaust> mbui: one example of why contributing to the community is "relevant" would be addons like js-console / OOTBee Support Tools - I bet every partner is using the js-console in some way or another to simplify script coding / support work, and I do know that some partners also already use/prefer the OOTBee Support Tools addon over the official Aflresco Support Tools.

2017-05-05 10:37:51 GMT <AFaust> Community contribution means that partners can save on some of their internal investments for tooling like this by pooling resources / ideas with the larger community.

2017-05-05 10:39:14 GMT <bhagyas> +1 AFaust

2017-05-05 10:39:15 GMT <AFaust> Also, being engaged in the community will let you get to know various experts across the world, and some may be potential hires in the future - and you may already be aware of their work / level of expertise instead of going into an interview "blind"

2017-05-05 10:41:05 GMT <mbui> I agree with what you're saying AFaust. Question is who to contact for such a session/presentation? :)

2017-05-05 10:44:38 GMT <AFaust> It depends - if you want someone from the OOTBee you can ask for interested / local community members on the mailing list. There is also a specific "marketing" sub-group of members that might be able to help. If you have some people in mind specifically, why not simply approach them directly via Twitter or other Social Media channels?

2017-05-05 10:52:08 GMT <mrks_js> is the value for 'passwordHash' stored ind the db for ldap users as well?

2017-05-05 11:01:48 GMT <Magdalena_> Hi. I have a problem previewing files and i think that the problem is that pdfworker.js isn't loading even though i checked and it's in the right place in tomcat/.../share/. I tried it on another installations and it works fine and i can see that it's loading. Can somebody help me? Thanks :)

2017-05-05 11:17:14 GMT <AFaust> mrks_js: Which "passwordHash" are you referring to? Alfresco will only store hashes for local user accounts - there is no synchronisation from LDAP to the DB unless you apply some custom code / configuration to it on a very low level (there are no default properties to configure this)

2017-05-05 11:19:33 GMT <mrks_js> AFaust: the one mentioned here: http://docs.alfresco.com/5.1/concepts/admin-password.html

2017-05-05 11:19:34 GMT <alfbot> Title: Admin password in default authentication | Alfresco Documentation (at docs.alfresco.com)

2017-05-05 11:20:23 GMT <AFaust> That is a local user, so that is stored in the DB via the alf_node_properties table (it's just a property on a node in the single user:// store that is created by default)

2017-05-05 11:23:54 GMT <mrks_js> i see! trying to debug some login issues

2017-05-05 11:24:02 GMT <mrks_js> thanks Axel

2017-05-05 12:24:03 GMT <qwebirc94515> join

2017-05-05 12:27:40 GMT <qwebirc94515> User not able to see the site after login for custom role even after running fix for existing sites.

2017-05-05 12:28:01 GMT <qwebirc94515> im using alfresco community 5.2

2017-05-05 13:04:29 GMT <bmejias> Hi all... for those who attended BeeCon....

2017-05-05 13:04:37 GMT <bmejias> we are very interested in your feedback

2017-05-05 13:04:42 GMT <bmejias> it's only 5 questions: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3KNL57Y

2017-05-05 13:04:43 GMT <alfbot> Title: BeeCon2017 Survey (at www.surveymonkey.com)

2017-05-05 13:15:48 GMT <bmejias> aha, two guys that were at BeeCon and just missed the Survey announcement

2017-05-05 13:16:10 GMT <bmejias> AFaust, marsjk it's only 5 questions: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3KNL57Y

2017-05-05 13:16:11 GMT <alfbot> Title: BeeCon2017 Survey (at www.surveymonkey.com)

2017-05-05 13:21:57 GMT <AFaust> bmejias: Who you talking to?

2017-05-05 13:22:35 GMT <marsjk> AFaust: I wasn't there, maybe you mean mrks_js?

2017-05-05 13:22:58 GMT <AFaust> Yeah, bmeijas - mrks_js and marsjk are different people...

2017-05-05 13:23:01 GMT <bmejias> Beecon survey.... and indeed, I'm confusing marsjk with mark_js

2017-05-05 13:23:24 GMT <mrks_js> how could you!?

2017-05-05 13:23:24 GMT <bmejias> tab completion went too fast... sorry about that

2017-05-05 13:23:26 GMT <mrks_js> : D

2017-05-05 13:28:03 GMT <douglascrp> hey guys

2017-05-05 13:28:18 GMT <douglascrp> I am facing a problem with ppt and pptx previews generation

2017-05-05 13:28:38 GMT <douglascrp> as you know, libreoffice uses 100% cpu for long time, and that makes the server hangs

2017-05-05 13:29:07 GMT <douglascrp> do you guys have any idea on how to improve this? a way to maybe limit the cpu usage by the libreoffice process

2017-05-05 13:36:32 GMT <mrks_js> you could decrease the timeout for the filetypes

2017-05-05 13:38:51 GMT <cesarcapi> douglascrp, i remember a similar problem but with imagemagik transformations

2017-05-05 13:39:23 GMT <douglascrp> cesarcapi, yes, Loftux has an script which limits the number of process based on the cpu cores available

2017-05-05 13:39:27 GMT <cesarcapi> In that case --> http://www.zylk.net/es/web-2-0/blog/-/blogs/limiting-the-number-of-cores-for-alfresco-transformations

2017-05-05 13:39:28 GMT <alfbot> Title: - Limiting the number of cores for Alfresco Transformations - zylk (at www.zylk.net)

2017-05-05 13:39:34 GMT <douglascrp> I am doing a research here and trying to understand how I can control this

2017-05-05 13:39:37 GMT <douglascrp> yes, that one too

2017-05-05 13:39:45 GMT <cesarcapi> yes, that is

2017-05-05 13:40:43 GMT <douglascrp> taskset limits the number of process

2017-05-05 13:40:54 GMT <douglascrp> what I need is to limit the cpu usage by a single process

2017-05-05 13:41:03 GMT <douglascrp> like thia http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2014/11/04/restricting-process-cpu-usage-using-nice-cpulimit-and-cgroups

2017-05-05 13:41:04 GMT <alfbot> Title: Restricting process CPU usage using nice, cpulimit, and cgroups (at blog.scoutapp.com)

2017-05-05 13:41:08 GMT <douglascrp> *this

2017-05-05 13:41:35 GMT <cesarcapi> if thought that it limited the number of cores

2017-05-05 13:43:21 GMT <douglascrp> cesarcapi, I didn`t get this

2017-05-05 13:44:34 GMT <cesarcapi> By the way, if transformation timeouts (as said), or size limits for transformations does not mitigate, you may externalize the Libreoffice server. At least your Alfresco node will stay up.

2017-05-05 13:45:06 GMT <douglascrp> yes, that is a good idea, but I don`t think it is an option for this customer

2017-05-05 13:45:16 GMT <douglascrp> they would need to buy one more machine

2017-05-05 13:45:26 GMT <douglascrp> you know... when you talk about money :D

2017-05-05 13:51:21 GMT <douglascrp> cesarcapi, the cgroups looks interesting and promissing

2017-05-05 13:51:26 GMT <douglascrp> I am going to try it now in this server

2017-05-05 13:51:33 GMT <douglascrp> lets see what happens

2017-05-05 13:52:36 GMT <cesarcapi> the easiest may be with cpulimit, just with --> cpulimit -l 50 -p `pidof .soffice.bin`

2017-05-05 13:53:10 GMT <douglascrp> cesarcapi, yes, but with it, you have to do this for each process

2017-05-05 13:53:43 GMT <douglascrp> using cgroups, I can configure the soffice startup script to start everything under the limited cpu group, and all the process started by it will respect the limit

2017-05-05 13:53:50 GMT <douglascrp> I am going to try it

2017-05-05 13:54:45 GMT <cesarcapi> yes, it sounds better with cgroups, i said to include cpulimit in libreoffice_ctl.sh script too

2017-05-05 13:55:05 GMT <douglascrp> I got it

2017-05-05 13:55:11 GMT <cesarcapi> good

2017-05-05 13:55:13 GMT <douglascrp> I will let you know about the results

2017-05-05 13:55:22 GMT <douglascrp> just give me some minutes to try it

2017-05-05 14:13:03 GMT <Tichodroma> Is it allowed to set properties in a JAR module in an alfresco-global.properties? I fail to overwrite such properties in the global alfresco-global.properties. Is the name of this file special in a JAR?

2017-05-05 14:58:17 GMT <AFaust> Tichodroma: "Allowed" is such a German thing to ask for an open-source software product you want to customise.

2017-05-05 14:58:49 GMT <Tichodroma> AFaust: let me rephrase: Is it *possible* to overwrite ...

2017-05-05 14:58:58 GMT <AFaust> As long as you use the alfresco/module/XYZ/alfresco-global.properties file inside the JAR it is fine and what Alfresco intends, e.g. with SDK 3 and moving to JAR packaging

2017-05-05 14:59:32 GMT <Tichodroma> AFaust: so overwriting properties defined there should be possible in the global alfresco-global.properties?

2017-05-05 14:59:39 GMT <AFaust> It is, yes

2017-05-05 14:59:41 GMT <Tichodroma> fine

2017-05-05 15:05:43 GMT <Tichodroma> maybe this only works in 5.1+? On 5.0d the overwritten property is ignored

2017-05-05 15:36:14 GMT <digcat> hi douglascrp hope things are going well your end! and congrats on the mug! noticed your conversation re libreoffice throttles, wondered if you had seen loftux approach using taskset ? we use it on puppet-alfresco, https://github.com/digcat/puppet-alfresco/blob/master/files/limitconvert.sh

2017-05-05 15:36:16 GMT <alfbot> Title: puppet-alfresco/limitconvert.sh at master · digcat/puppet-alfresco · GitHub (at github.com)

2017-05-05 15:37:35 GMT <douglascrp> digcat, hey dude

2017-05-05 15:37:53 GMT <digcat> hi douglascrp hows your day going

2017-05-05 15:38:03 GMT <douglascrp> yes, I know that one, but as I was saying, that is, at least what I understood it, to limit the number of process

2017-05-05 15:38:14 GMT <douglascrp> my day... crazy :D

2017-05-05 15:38:32 GMT <douglascrp> how about yours?

2017-05-05 15:38:46 GMT <digcat> hehe, well im still making my way back to london, still in madrid, so not too hectic yet, trying to keep up with incoming :)

2017-05-05 15:39:02 GMT <douglascrp> nice

2017-05-05 15:39:16 GMT <digcat> can you easily reproduce the 100% on libreoffice?

2017-05-05 15:39:23 GMT <digcat> sample docs for example

2017-05-05 15:39:33 GMT <douglascrp> yes, PPTX

2017-05-05 15:40:15 GMT <douglascrp> I am waiting for them to perform some tasks, then I am going to try again

2017-05-05 15:40:15 GMT <digcat> hmm ive not seen same problem using 5.0.d when using limitconvert.sh and ooo.port=8100

2017-05-05 15:40:24 GMT <digcat> are you on a newer release?

2017-05-05 15:40:31 GMT <douglascrp> 5.1

2017-05-05 15:40:37 GMT <douglascrp> libreoffice 5.3

2017-05-05 15:42:16 GMT <digcat> ok, ill double check pretty sure we have pptx files floating about, but not received that issue, we are still using older libreoffice though, 4.2.7.2 from the looks, will try and spin up to mirror and see if i can see same issue

2017-05-05 15:43:00 GMT <digcat> useful if its just a pptx file, or a pptx of a certain size

2017-05-05 15:44:11 GMT <digcat> i also see 5.3.1 is out, although even more bleeding edge

2017-05-05 15:46:13 GMT <digcat> also notice that TDF recommend 5.2.6, so that might be related

2017-05-05 16:03:55 GMT <douglascrp> digcat, there are some specific files, with lots of images

2017-05-05 16:04:07 GMT <douglascrp> some are 3 MB in size, but are complex

2017-05-05 16:04:17 GMT <douglascrp> I will see if I can get some that I can share with you

2017-05-05 16:04:28 GMT <digcat> cool

2017-05-05 16:04:34 GMT <douglascrp> we may keep this conversation by email, as I am going to leave the laptop in a feel minutes

2017-05-05 16:04:59 GMT <digcat> ~later tell resplin just wondering if that note got to you re that jira ticket and pushing nightly amps into nexus :)

2017-05-05 16:04:59 GMT <alfbot> digcat: The operation succeeded.

2017-05-05 16:05:26 GMT <douglascrp> digcat, I have you email, so I am going to send what I can for you there

2017-05-05 16:05:35 GMT <digcat> ok

2017-05-05 16:05:38 GMT <digcat> np

End of Daily Log

The other logs are at http://esplins.org/hash_alfresco