Daily Log for #alfresco IRC Channel

Alfresco discussion and collaboration. Stick around a few hours after asking a question.

Official support for Enterprise subscribers: support.alfresco.com.

Joining the Channel:

Join in the conversation by getting an IRC client and connecting to #alfresco at Freenode. Our you can use the IRC web chat.

More information about the channel is in the wiki.

Getting Help

More help is available in this list of resources.

Daily Log for #alfresco

2017-10-13 06:58:23 GMT <yreg> Morning Alfresco Community !

2017-10-13 07:14:33 GMT <yreg> hi Dirk23 !

2017-10-13 07:14:47 GMT <Dirk23> hi

2017-10-13 07:16:09 GMT <yreg> Not really sure but I think I have seen you lurking around in the #nextcloud channel, was that you ?

2017-10-13 08:44:20 GMT <cDavid> Hi, a customer wants to install Alfresco (enterprise) on a XEN Virtual Machine. Is it a viable choise?

2017-10-13 08:45:49 GMT <yreg> cDavid, http://docs.alfresco.com/5.2/concepts/supported-platforms-ACS.html

2017-10-13 08:45:51 GMT <alfbot> Title: Supported Platforms | Alfresco Documentation (at docs.alfresco.com)

2017-10-13 08:46:23 GMT <yreg> I suppose that as long the OS on the VM does fit into the supported stack, the virtualization technology should not matter

2017-10-13 08:47:53 GMT <yreg> but you could ping alfresco for more info

2017-10-13 08:48:24 GMT <yreg> cDavid, when I try to create a new support case XEN shows up in the list of virtualization technologies

2017-10-13 08:50:07 GMT <cDavid> Thank you! It's the answer I was looking for

2017-10-13 09:41:42 GMT <qwebirc6414> Hi Guys, How do I form a alfresco fts query to search for proeprty which is of NULL ? example @cm:name:NULL ??

2017-10-13 09:51:30 GMT <yreg> qwebirc6414, name can never be null

2017-10-13 09:51:47 GMT <yreg> but ns:propName IS NULL should work

2017-10-13 09:52:31 GMT <yreg> not to confuse with the case when the property does not exist at all

2017-10-13 09:54:01 GMT <yreg> which would actually be - PROPERTIES:"{the://namespace.uri/of/your/model/}propName"

2017-10-13 09:54:22 GMT <yreg> you can either use "-" or NOT to negate

2017-10-13 10:33:51 GMT <mtsiak> hi all.

2017-10-13 10:34:48 GMT <mtsiak> http://docs.alfresco.com/5.2/concepts/trashcan-cleaner.html trashcan-cleaner works only on enterprise?

2017-10-13 10:34:49 GMT <alfbot> Title: Configuring the Trashcan Cleaner | Alfresco Documentation (at docs.alfresco.com)

2017-10-13 10:49:16 GMT <AFaust> yreg: What do you think about standardising query syntax advise on one particular way to handle modifiers, e.g. only use AND / OR / NOT, instead of using low-level/legacy Lucene +/-/!

2017-10-13 10:49:54 GMT <AFaust> That way, people also won't get confused about how to handle e.g. exact match + negation combination, i.e. is it "-=cm:name" or "=-cm:name"?

2017-10-13 10:51:19 GMT <AFaust> mtsiak: As far as I know, that is available in community as well... Just be careful about using it on larger systems with more trash can content. It is quite brute-forcy...

2017-10-13 10:55:06 GMT <yreg> AFaust, makes sense

2017-10-13 11:17:25 GMT <mtsiak> ok AFaust, will try.

2017-10-13 11:23:08 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: Just a heads up, fixed the issue i was facing yesterday.

2017-10-13 11:44:51 GMT * AFaust is looking forward to the day that Alfresco finally has a build / release manager that has far reaching authority (and competency) to fix the dependency mess in all its products (currently struggling to get an APS project upgraded to 1.7.0)

2017-10-13 11:48:01 GMT <yreg> ~later tell resplin ping

2017-10-13 11:48:01 GMT <alfbot> yreg: The operation succeeded.

2017-10-13 12:02:53 GMT <qwebirc6414> thanks yreg, I read it just now

2017-10-13 12:04:17 GMT <fcorti> bhagyas nice

2017-10-13 12:04:19 GMT <fcorti> how?

2017-10-13 13:04:51 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: I think it must be an amp file, so people don't get really angry over when ADF doesn't work OOTB as it should

2017-10-13 13:04:55 GMT <bhagyas> :)

2017-10-13 13:05:20 GMT <bhagyas> fcorti: had to drop in the enablecors jar and two other jar files from the transactionfactory

2017-10-13 13:05:58 GMT <fcorti> bhagyas could be great if you could write a post on it. :-)

2017-10-13 13:06:36 GMT <fcorti> in the meantime the team is aware about it... don't know when it would be made easier.

2017-10-13 13:07:52 GMT <alfbot> resplin: Sent 1 hour and 19 minutes ago: <yreg> ping

2017-10-13 13:29:21 GMT <resplin> yreg: ACK

2017-10-13 13:29:43 GMT <resplin> AFaust: Was my answer to your question last week sufficient? Did you want to discuss it any further?

2017-10-13 13:30:17 GMT <resplin> Regarding leveraging read-only database replication.

2017-10-13 13:30:19 GMT <AFaust> It was sufficient to form a preliminary response to a related customer inquiry

2017-10-13 13:30:46 GMT <AFaust> Regarding the "enterprise-only" aspect, I was tempted to respond "well, it depends on who manages to implement it first"

2017-10-13 13:31:04 GMT <AFaust> i.e. if customer would prioritise the request...

2017-10-13 13:36:14 GMT <AFaust> But we'll see. Customer has a lot of homework to do with their current system before that even becomes relevant.

2017-10-13 13:37:37 GMT <AFaust> At least I now have an improved understanding of AWS infrastructure / Alfresco scaling on it, so I finally understand how to setup a performant system without exploding the cost...

2017-10-13 13:40:07 GMT <AFaust> resplin: One thing to ask you though: Do you know of any (other) Alfresco customers/users that have (on average) 100+ metadata values per content node?

2017-10-13 13:40:30 GMT <yreg> Hey resplin

2017-10-13 13:40:41 GMT <yreg> AFaust, that seems like really a lot

2017-10-13 13:41:12 GMT <yreg> but I think we have a client that fits in that usecase with a lot of duplicate metadata properties

2017-10-13 13:41:45 GMT <AFaust> yes, though the number of properties is "reasonable", they just have a couple of multiple-value properties that cause the overall number of metadata values to balloon

2017-10-13 13:42:34 GMT <AFaust> Before that customer, my "most metadata-obese" customer was around ~35 properties

2017-10-13 13:52:27 GMT <yreg> AFaust, just confirmed with tgeens the client we have averages on 60 not on 100

2017-10-13 13:53:26 GMT <AFaust> yreg: I used 100+ only as a generic range. The current average is actually around 180

2017-10-13 14:44:06 GMT <alfbot> douglascrp: Sent 1 day, 5 hours, and 25 minutes ago: <yreg> ping

2017-10-13 14:44:33 GMT <douglascrp> morning everyone

2017-10-13 14:44:35 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, pong

2017-10-13 14:44:41 GMT <yreg> hey dude !

2017-10-13 14:44:55 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, hey

2017-10-13 14:45:01 GMT <douglascrp> what's up?

2017-10-13 14:45:50 GMT <yreg> I wanted to ping you about that bug in the value assistance module when used with interlinked lists in combination with uploader plus

2017-10-13 14:46:00 GMT <yreg> did you get a reproducer already ?

2017-10-13 14:49:26 GMT <yreg> douglascrp, it is really easy to reproduce : just set up a form with multiple interlinked lists and use it as an uploader-plus form

2017-10-13 14:49:35 GMT <yreg> the first upload always goes fine

2017-10-13 14:49:38 GMT <resplin> AFaust: We have lots of customers who pull very large amounts of metadata per node.

2017-10-13 14:49:52 GMT <resplin> AFaust: I don't have a guess at a percentage, but it comes up all the time.

2017-10-13 14:50:00 GMT <yreg> but you always need to refresh the page in order to be able to upload other files

2017-10-13 14:50:28 GMT <yreg> otherwise all linked lists (other than root) will not load the data from the lists

2017-10-13 14:51:07 GMT <resplin> My goal in how we define Enterprise-only is that it doesn't end up a competitive thing, but we need to reserve some items or the big companies will never pay.

2017-10-13 14:51:25 GMT * resplin has changed his thinking about open source a lot since he got into the business of selling it

2017-10-13 14:52:09 GMT <resplin> I get a lot of pressure to release less architectural information since people have been using it to fill in all the pieces of our implementations. It's hard to cooperate and compete at the same time.

2017-10-13 14:52:46 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, so, I know about the problem, but I have not had the chance to play with it

2017-10-13 14:53:04 GMT <douglascrp> I remember someone from xenit gave me a link to a server at the time

2017-10-13 14:53:32 GMT <resplin> yreg: Did you have a question for me when you pinged earlier?

2017-10-13 14:54:39 GMT <yreg> resplin, I did, but totally forgot what it was when you came

2017-10-13 14:55:55 GMT <resplin> No worries. I'm going to go find some breakfast then.

2017-10-13 14:56:04 GMT <yreg> bon apétit

2017-10-13 14:57:57 GMT <douglascrp> yreg, can you give the the link and the credentials again?

2017-10-13 14:58:56 GMT <yreg> douglascrp, pm

2017-10-13 15:05:48 GMT <AFaust> resplin: I am seriously wondering what bits of architectural information you could have released that actually allowed anyone "to fill in all the pieces of our implementation".

2017-10-13 15:06:44 GMT <AFaust> No offense, but for that you're job is simply too high level / detached from actionable details.

2017-10-13 15:08:08 GMT <resplin> Oh, I don't write the architectural documents.

2017-10-13 15:08:13 GMT <resplin> You are right about that.

2017-10-13 15:08:21 GMT <AFaust> Such pressure is actually quite unmasking how little the people putting it on you understand about how open source developers work with a deliberately stuntent product...

2017-10-13 15:08:45 GMT * AFaust is not sure "stuntent" is the right word, but that came to mind...

2017-10-13 15:09:02 GMT <resplin> At BeeCon we talked about our efforts to create an architecture map and publicize it.

2017-10-13 15:09:08 GMT * AFaust realises the spelling might actually be "stunted"

2017-10-13 15:09:25 GMT <resplin> We started by documenting our proprietary components, because those are often the most complex.

2017-10-13 15:10:09 GMT <AFaust> At this point, I believe customers / users would give anything to even get anything resembling a roadmap from Alfresco, disregarding any notion of architecture map

2017-10-13 15:10:42 GMT <resplin> Some are in favor of publicizing the whole map, but I surprised myself in this case that I'm in favor of keeping the architectural design of proprietary components private.

2017-10-13 15:11:18 GMT <resplin> We have been able to open source a lot of great stuff, but I need to preserve some features or I won't be able to maintain the current open development engine.

2017-10-13 15:11:36 GMT <resplin> AFaust: Did you see the Content Repo roadmap I put into the community?

2017-10-13 15:12:06 GMT <AFaust> Question is, did you update it in such a way that anyone subscribed to the space actually got notified?

2017-10-13 15:12:17 GMT <resplin> I meant to.

2017-10-13 15:12:40 GMT <AFaust> You mean: https://community.alfresco.com/docs/DOC-1085-alfresco-ecm-product-roadmap ??

2017-10-13 15:12:41 GMT <alfbot> Title: Content Repository Roadmap 2017 | Alfresco Community (at community.alfresco.com)

2017-10-13 15:12:44 GMT <resplin> When I got the feedback at BeeCon that we needed a public roadmap, I finally got it done. I admit it took a few months.

2017-10-13 15:12:47 GMT <resplin> Yes, that's the one.

2017-10-13 15:12:58 GMT <resplin> I've updated it a few times since then as our thinking has evolved.

2017-10-13 15:13:26 GMT <resplin> But that explains the projects that are currently in-flight, and the ones that are next on deck.

2017-10-13 15:13:45 GMT <douglascrp> ~later tell fwu ping

2017-10-13 15:13:45 GMT <alfbot> douglascrp: The operation succeeded.

2017-10-13 15:13:51 GMT <resplin> I'm surprised at how little feedback I've received on it.

2017-10-13 15:15:27 GMT <pjlucidi> hi guys! Does anybody here know if I can enable SAML 2.0 and multitenancy at the same time in Alfresco? :-P

2017-10-13 15:16:16 GMT <yreg> pjlucidi, definitely not out of the box

2017-10-13 15:16:44 GMT <yreg> possibly with EE + https://github.com/Acosix/alfresco-mt-support

2017-10-13 15:16:45 GMT <alfbot> Title: GitHub - Acosix/alfresco-mt-support: Adding missing multi-tenancy support for various subsystems and features (at github.com)

2017-10-13 15:16:46 GMT <AFaust> resplin: Well, that is not so much a roadmap as an abstract priority list. Nothing that a customer can rely on in terms of even coarse planning e.g. if they should wait for version X or upgrade now...

2017-10-13 15:17:25 GMT <pjlucidi> I mean using Enterprise Edition then using Alfresco Content Services

2017-10-13 15:17:30 GMT <AFaust> pjlucidi, yreg: No support for SAML 2.0 yet. Are you referring to the Alfresco SAML 2.0 module?

2017-10-13 15:17:40 GMT <pjlucidi> yep

2017-10-13 15:18:03 GMT <pjlucidi> taking a look here: http://docs.alfresco.com/5.2/concepts/mt-not-implemented.html

2017-10-13 15:18:05 GMT <alfbot> Title: Features not supported in a multi-tenant environment | Alfresco Documentation (at docs.alfresco.com)

2017-10-13 15:18:15 GMT <pjlucidi> and then here: http://docs.alfresco.com/saml/concepts/saml-prereqs.html

2017-10-13 15:18:16 GMT <AFaust> pjlucidi: Well, then my module can't help you yet, and if it would, then that would make resplin's job harder...

2017-10-13 15:18:16 GMT <alfbot> Title: Prerequisites for using SAML SSO with Alfresco | Alfresco Documentation (at docs.alfresco.com)

2017-10-13 15:18:24 GMT <pjlucidi> I’m wondering if there is something not documented

2017-10-13 15:18:34 GMT <pjlucidi> or it just works

2017-10-13 15:18:37 GMT <pjlucidi> :)

2017-10-13 15:32:35 GMT <resplin> pjlucidi: You can not.

2017-10-13 15:32:42 GMT <resplin> pjlucidi: Who is using multi-tenancy?

2017-10-13 15:33:15 GMT <resplin> I'm trying to make a list of customers interested in multi-tenancy so that I can better understand their use case.

2017-10-13 15:33:17 GMT <pjlucidi> I have just found this that means it can’t work now but in the future: https://issues.alfresco.com/jira/browse/REPO-687

2017-10-13 15:33:46 GMT <pjlucidi> I have just added my vote for solving this issue in the epic SAML Advanced :-P

2017-10-13 15:34:09 GMT <resplin> pjlucidi: There is a good chance that it doesn't work in the future.

2017-10-13 15:34:36 GMT <resplin> Our current thinking is to better tailor multi-tenancy specifically for SaaS OEMs.

2017-10-13 15:34:56 GMT <resplin> That would restrict the feature set that is support.

2017-10-13 15:37:01 GMT <resplin> AFaust: We have been deliberately avoiding attaching specific features to specific versions, as that plan changes very frequently. Instead we have been trying to be more clear about what is in-flight (highly likely for the next version) and keeping that list up-to-date

2017-10-13 15:37:36 GMT <resplin> The answer to the upgrade question is "upgrade now, unless something on the in-flight list is required for you"

2017-10-13 15:39:19 GMT <resplin> That said, the 6.0 planning is mature enough that I am in the process of adding more detail around that release. But it doesn't add any new items beyond what are already on that roadmap.

2017-10-13 15:39:35 GMT <resplin> It just says which ones we think will make 6.0, and which ones are likely a release after that.

2017-10-13 15:40:41 GMT <AFaust> resplin: setting no targets ensures that none can be missed...

2017-10-13 15:41:26 GMT <AFaust> Sort of a lazy approach to the problem "our plans are unreliable / change every so often"

2017-10-13 15:41:49 GMT <AFaust> ... just expressing what I have heard Enterprise customers tell me...

2017-10-13 15:41:55 GMT <resplin> Agile!

2017-10-13 15:42:08 GMT <resplin> On a more serious note, we are trying to look better at the underlying need.

2017-10-13 15:42:51 GMT <resplin> People want to know what we are building and what we are not building. By not tying it to a specific date, we can be much more open about what is in flight.

2017-10-13 15:43:09 GMT <resplin> If we promise dates, then people make purchasing decisions based on those dates, and then we get sued.

2017-10-13 15:44:22 GMT <resplin> Our goal is to communicate the information as soon as we have it, but not to make guesses ahead of where we have clear engineering forecasts based on sprint velocity.

2017-10-13 15:53:01 GMT <alfbot> fwu: Sent 39 minutes ago: <douglascrp> ping

2017-10-13 15:53:08 GMT <fwu> hi all!

2017-10-13 15:53:36 GMT <resplin> AFaust: I appreciate the feedback as I have received very little since BeeCon. What information is missing that your customers need to make their decisions?

2017-10-13 15:53:44 GMT <AFaust> resplin: Problem with "agile" is, it fits what developers ask for. But customers (at least in Germany) are waaaay more traditional...

2017-10-13 15:54:33 GMT <resplin> We regularly have the discussion "agile does not mean without planning" and "agile does not mean we don't communicate"

2017-10-13 15:54:49 GMT <resplin> But we are trying to find the right communication and the essential things to plan and commit.

2017-10-13 15:55:06 GMT <resplin> That's why I put up the list of current projects, and as important, current non-projects.

2017-10-13 15:55:26 GMT <resplin> In order to provide the essential information while preserving flexibility in delivery schedules.

2017-10-13 15:55:40 GMT <resplin> And I am very curious to hear how well it meets the needs (or doesn't).

2017-10-13 15:58:41 GMT <danric_> Hi all. is it possible to configure solr 6 search services to use the same analyzer for all languages?

2017-10-13 16:03:35 GMT <AFaust> resplin: So a lot of my customers want to know about what (Share) end-user features Alfresco is working on, when those would be implemented / available (version target, not necessarily date target); they often compare with other products (even open source ones) and want to know in advance e.g. when a version will be 6.0 instead of 5.3, so they can plan their upgrade accordingly e.g. to avoid limited support

2017-10-13 16:05:34 GMT <AFaust> Customers are not really willing to immediately (or soon-ish) upgrade to every other new version / service pack if there's nothing in it for the from the end-user functionality perspective... There's a reason I have customers on 4.2, and an Enterprise customer of my old employer is just now contemplating upgrade from 3.4 to a newer version...

2017-10-13 16:07:26 GMT <resplin> Thank you for sharing.

2017-10-13 16:08:04 GMT <resplin> We are addressing the second issue by guaranteeing support for a specific time period instead of basing it off of future releases.

2017-10-13 16:08:12 GMT <AFaust> And then "suddenly" having an interesting new feature available i.e. in 6.0 without it being listed as planned e.g. 6-12 months in advance sort of lets them down from a customer management perspective, e.g. "gee, if we had know Alfresco is working on that for this version, we could have planned and prepared our upgrade for this business year so we'd be ready to use it"

2017-10-13 16:09:00 GMT <resplin> That is exactly why we are trying to be more proactive about listing what is in the pipe.

2017-10-13 16:09:10 GMT <AFaust> The lead time - with regards to budget / project approval - in various companies simply does not allow for upgrades in a reasonable time if they could not plan for it ahead

2017-10-13 16:10:44 GMT <resplin> Understood. Our challenge in the past is that customers would start that 12 month lead time based on what was in the pipe, and then we would change our plans based on implementation difficulty or to take advantage of other opportunities, and customers would have to start over.

2017-10-13 16:11:12 GMT <resplin> Our goal is to try and help customers shorten their lead time, by having containers that they can test early and move through the process, and by having versioned REST APIs that don't break every update.

2017-10-13 16:11:37 GMT <AFaust> Ok - now we may have that for 6.0, which is not very far off (if we take typical release per year cycle). What about 6.1 and 6.2? That would be of interest to customers now, so that they could request budget / project e.g. for end of next year before the end of this year...

2017-10-13 16:11:53 GMT <resplin> The first question, about new features in Share, was more painful. The answer both public and private was "don't expect any new features as we are focused on the ADF". The good news now is that we have started Share development again, but don't yet have a roadmap.

2017-10-13 16:12:24 GMT <AFaust> Yeah, that's what I usually tell customers / end-users, though I am more direct about it...

2017-10-13 16:12:54 GMT <resplin> AFaust: Yes, we are working on that. 6.0 is currently expected for the middle of next calendar year. The 6.1 plan is currently "everything on the roadmap that we don't fit into 6.0".

2017-10-13 16:13:44 GMT <resplin> I'll keep updating the bottom of that "in-progress" list as new projects mature to the point of engineering agreeing to do them, and I'll start listing items as "expected in 6.0

2017-10-13 16:14:00 GMT <resplin> as we get actual sizing estimates back from the engineering teams.

2017-10-13 16:14:24 GMT <resplin> My goal is to get feedback on how I handle this with the Repo Team, but I recognize that other PMs are handling their parts differently.

2017-10-13 16:14:35 GMT <resplin> As I get feedback on what is working, I can encourage others to do the same.

2017-10-13 16:14:46 GMT <resplin> (similarly with feedback on what isn't working)

2017-10-13 16:16:15 GMT <AFaust> General feedback from (assumed) customer perspective:

2017-10-13 16:16:45 GMT <AFaust> Tooling upgrade to Git? Not a feature, expected from any modern open source vendor

2017-10-13 16:17:20 GMT <resplin> Agreed. We see it as playing catch-up.

2017-10-13 16:17:34 GMT * resplin is so glad that project is finally wrapping up so we can build things that deliver value

2017-10-13 16:17:40 GMT <AFaust> Replace CIFS network shared drive - what about my MFP with print-to-share feature?

2017-10-13 16:18:12 GMT <AFaust> Product insight from improved monitoring - that's a feature for the vendor, not us

2017-10-13 16:18:27 GMT <resplin> I think part of the frustration people have felt is that we have spent so long on internal tooling and not delivering exciting things.

2017-10-13 16:18:35 GMT <AFaust> Produce a "Reference Deployment" of Alfresco - that's what I have my service provider / partner for....

2017-10-13 16:20:12 GMT <AFaust> Additional REST APIs - doesn't help me as a customer much, because I require most of my (complex) operations to be atomic

2017-10-13 16:20:59 GMT <AFaust> Executable Content Repository - is Alfresco taking away my choice in how I can host / operate my system?

2017-10-13 16:21:58 GMT <AFaust> Replace embedded Activiti - how should I now develop workflows for my Content Services / Share DMS solution that are transactionally safe / atomic?

2017-10-13 16:22:42 GMT <AFaust> SSO gateway / identity server - So will SSO finally work out-of-the-box without any hitches?

2017-10-13 16:23:32 GMT <AFaust> </assumedCustomerFeedback>

2017-10-13 16:24:28 GMT <resplin> MFP print-to-share: yeah, if it doesn't support WebDAV it's going to stop working

2017-10-13 16:24:36 GMT * AFaust is feeling sick from reading Spring Boot in that document and being reminded of all the pain and suffering this already cost him with regards to APS

2017-10-13 16:25:26 GMT <resplin> Monitoring: the intention is to make the monitoring data easily available to the customer for their use

2017-10-13 16:25:40 GMT <resplin> Atomic REST APIs: will be possible once the event queue is ready

2017-10-13 16:26:14 GMT <resplin> The way I would summarize your feedback is "it's taking so long to get to the good stuff!" Which is a feeling I completely agree with.

2017-10-13 16:27:53 GMT <AFaust> Well - if there was actually some good stuff at the horizon after that, then that would be accurate....

2017-10-13 16:28:16 GMT <resplin> I think containers, ID service, and eventing will enable a lot of interesting things.

2017-10-13 16:29:09 GMT <AFaust> Ask me in 3-4 years, if I will have ever used the event queue stuff...

2017-10-13 16:30:38 GMT <AFaust> What do you think will containers specifically enable?

2017-10-13 16:32:15 GMT * AFaust is completely neglecting his last task for today, looking for all code changes in APS 1.7.0

2017-10-13 16:36:17 GMT <resplin> I appreciate that, as this has been a productive conversation for me.

2017-10-13 16:36:34 GMT <resplin> I came in here today hoping someone would help me refine the way I communicate about this stuff. grin

2017-10-13 16:37:02 GMT <resplin> The goal of containers (and why we are removing app server support):

2017-10-13 16:37:40 GMT <resplin> 1. We can provide more of the configuration than we did previously, reducing the effort involved in setting up ACS for production (logging, security settings, SSL)

2017-10-13 16:38:12 GMT <resplin> 2. Once you have injected your configuration into the container, you can easily move it between environments (dev, staging, prod) or between vendors (on-premise or cloud)

2017-10-13 16:41:32 GMT <AFaust> 1) Don't really understand where Alfresco / Engineering was technically limited from doing that before....

2017-10-13 16:42:13 GMT <resplin> We have had to provide SSL and logging configuration for each web application server.

2017-10-13 16:42:36 GMT <resplin> And things like setting up the LibreOffice user to be different from the Repository user across every OS.

2017-10-13 16:43:29 GMT <AFaust> I guess those advantages are true when you were previously using the installer, which I have been saying for years, no sane person should ever do in production...

2017-10-13 16:43:32 GMT <AFaust> or anywhere...

2017-10-13 16:43:40 GMT <AFaust> except for play-testing / trials

2017-10-13 16:43:54 GMT <resplin> But if you didn't use the installer, then you had to do it yourself instead of us doing it for you.

2017-10-13 16:44:11 GMT <resplin> If we did it for you, it would reduce your flexibility.

2017-10-13 16:44:30 GMT <resplin> Whereas our definition of a container can be inspected and adapted.

2017-10-13 16:45:03 GMT <resplin> (This is me talking as a PM, who is not yet burdened by a complete understanding of what is actually possible.)

2017-10-13 16:45:11 GMT <resplin> That's the vision we have been discussing.

2017-10-13 16:45:21 GMT <resplin> And why I see it as an exciting improvement.

2017-10-13 16:46:25 GMT <resplin> Similarly with the event queue, it allows us to batch REST API calls and execute them in an atomic manner.

2017-10-13 16:46:37 GMT <resplin> Also allows to order and replay transformations, and synchronization events.

2017-10-13 16:47:13 GMT <resplin> And allows external processes to subscribe to events, allowing more flexible (and scalable) integration and audit.

2017-10-13 16:47:14 GMT <fwu> ppl, in javascript for a workflow, how to set a multivalue property?

2017-10-13 16:49:12 GMT <AFaust> Will ReST API someday drop its restrictive assumptions of "oh, people will only ever use these parts of our features, and let's hard-code the options for XY"

2017-10-13 16:49:30 GMT <AFaust> missing a ? there

2017-10-13 16:51:48 GMT <resplin> It's hard to find the balance between making common things easy with default options, and preserving maximum flexibility.

2017-10-13 16:52:05 GMT <resplin> So your feedback on specific APIs is really appreciated.

2017-10-13 16:52:28 GMT <resplin> fwu: I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe someone else has an idea?

2017-10-13 16:53:33 GMT <resplin> As usual, thanks for the conversation AFaust. I'll be back in about an hour.

2017-10-13 16:58:45 GMT <AFaust> resplin: re atomic ReST API via event queue - I hope it supports rolling back if my workflow in the then external Activiti process hits a snafu...

2017-10-13 17:00:32 GMT <AFaust> I am not looking forward to implementing all the delta-bookkeeping and compensation logic that may be required for externalised processes...

2017-10-13 17:20:03 GMT <AFaust> re ReST API restrictions: 1) most if not all APIs only support default workspace://SpacesStore - how am I to handle e.g. a workspace://MyCustomSpacesStore? 2) Search API only allows me to query hard-coded scopes "nodes", "versions" and "deleted-nodes" (BTW: all objects are nodes, so having a scope named "nodes" is just wrong) - why can't I query another store, which custom SOLR core / TMQ would easily support? 3) Search only supports query languages

2017-10-13 17:20:03 GMT <AFaust> "afts", "cmis", "lucene" - why can't I use my fancy, amazing new query language "amazearch" that I have plugged into Alfresco?

2017-10-13 17:20:15 GMT * AFaust is going off for now...

2017-10-13 19:30:49 GMT <fwu> douglascrp

2017-10-13 19:30:52 GMT <fwu> yes I can

2017-10-13 19:31:11 GMT <fwu> still not flexible as expecting, but working

End of Daily Log

The other logs are at http://esplins.org/hash_alfresco